Standard Comp Box Sizes?

big matt

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Hey guys I'm going to pratice some boxes this weekend..I've found tons of info on how to build boxes and how they should look but I can't find info on the standard size for KCBS..thanks for the help!

but practice 8x8 also. This is the size many contest are getting.

I was all ready to get my panties in a bunch and disagree, but reading the rules it says "approved container provided by the organizer".
So yes they can give you any dang size they wish....

I personally think the rule should be changed to 9X9 only as far as I know all cooks plan on that size space for their entries.
I should have just bowed to your experience young lady.
Ed

Personally, I'd love to see KCBS get a contact with Hefty (or other manufacturer) and provide teams an approved list of product numbers so we could bring them to comps already completed if we wished. Then we would take them to the rep to get stickered prior to specified time.

However, I understand the logistical nightmares this could create, so I'd still be happy to get the boxes as soon as we check in.

All of the food service standard 9x9 takeout box fits the same external footprint, but be aware that the internal measurements vary depending on the brand. You will always have at least a 7 inch square to work with, sometimes more, but never more than 8.5 inches in my experience. (The cheaper the container, the smaller the interior volume)

That said this is only for styrofoam containers - I haven't seen any of the new "green" boxes that are beginning to become available.

All of the food service standard 9x9 takeout box fits the same external footprint, but be aware that the internal measurements vary depending on the brand. You will always have at least a 7 inch square to work with, sometimes more, but never more than 8.5 inches in my experience. (The cheaper the container, the smaller the interior volume)

That said this is only for styrofoam containers - I haven't seen any of the new "green" boxes that are beginning to become available.

We have noticed this as well, the internal dimensions can vary greatly depending on the slope of the side walls. Seems like there is no "standard" 9x9...

Thanks for all of the input!..when I went to pick up some practice boxes they had about 10 different ones..Oh Alexa it was nice to meet you and Vince in Wildomar..if you remember me I was showing you our logo?..thanks again!

Once we get our boxes, I look at them and let Andy how they are. It really doesn't effect how he puts the meat into the box. It DOES effect the way I build my parsley box.

Kim I was thinking the exact same thing..so basically you just shorten the parsley stem length right?..

We have noticed this as well, the internal dimensions can vary greatly depending on the slope of the side walls. Seems like there is no "standard" 9x9...

RD boxes are 9 3/4 X 9 X 3, Sams 9 1/2 X 9 1/2 X 3 1/2 at least around here.

Interior on RD is much smaller than Sams

Making the rule for KCBS read 9 X 9 would cause a major issue at many contests.

Last edited:
Oh Alexa it was nice to meet you and Vince in Wildomar..if you remember me I was showing you our logo
Yes, it was nice to meet you too! Wildomar was our first California outing of the year, and we did some catching up seeing people!

Here's a thought: Since you're in Banning, you might want to set your sights east as well -- it'd be an easy drive for you to come and play in our backyard!

For the boxes, instead of buying a bajillion-pack of one particular type, you could hit up a variety of takeout places and buy a couple of boxes from each. I always ask the boys to get boxes for me from the Mexican-food place on the corner -- as long as we buy a couple of full boxes, they're more than happy to sell or give us empty ones too.

Lol!..we've already got Prescott and Buckeye planned on our schedule..we wanted to do the one at the races in November put on by Ron Cates(smoke on the water)but I can't find it on the site maybe it's not gonna happen..that sucks if it doesn't it was supposed to be a 30,000 payout.

Back