Temp. trouble with my new Fatboy. HELP!!!

andymartin

Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
This is my first post here, hope I'm putting it in the right spot.

My wife and I bought a Backwoods Fatboy about a month ago and we're having temperature problems. Specifically, we can't maintain a low enough temp. Seems no matter what we do, we can't smoke below 250 or so. We've tried using a full water pan, fire bricks in the water pan instead of water and ceramic briquettes too. We've also tried using much less charcoal. Nothing is allowing us to cook at 225. Any advice or thoughts would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!

First thing I would ask, is why are you trying to cook at 225? 250 will get the job done just as well.

2nd, all cookers have a sweet spot that they like to cook at, and in my experience with a Fatboy, it was in the 250-260 range.

Lastly, when I was cooking with mine, I would have the bottom vents open about 1/4 inch each, and the top damper open so that it formed a triangle with the chimney (open about 25%). With this setup, the smoker would cruise at 250 all day long.

My fatboy settles in around 275 - 280 almost every time. It's really the "ideal" temperature to cook at for almost everything BBQ as far as I'm concerned.

you have to catch temps earlier, but like people have said, each cooker has its own sweetspot. 250 is a pretty nice sweetspot to have IMO. Its a BWS, your meat isnt burning. let her roll and embrace it.

I have a backwoods party and made a simple metal maze for the charcoal to burn through. Works great and controls the burn rate. You can make your own or there are some you can buy.

Use the fire bricks to make a maze in the firebox and start with fewer lit briqs. Start closing intakes when you are 50-75 degrees from your target temp. It will take longer to get up to temp but you will have better luck cooking at lower temps with this setup. Once you over-shoot temps they are hard to get back down in an insulated cabinet smoker.

That being said, I agree with the others on cooking where the cooker wants to cook. 275 is not too hot and your cooks will be a little shorter.

You are getting to much air in the fire box. On my Competitor,(same as a Fatboy only taller) I had to put wads of foil on one of the slider vents on the side. Even though I use a Guru.I have run as low as 225° for hours with NO PROBLEMS.
Also make sure your firebox door latch is adjusted properly.(tight seal all the way around)
Hope this helps and enjoy your Backwoods.

Back