IN PROGRESS: Discussion Thread -> "Blue Plate Special!" Throwdown (Non-Quality, Possibly Delinquent Discussion *BE WARNED*)

Shagdog

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Our new TD category is...

"Blue Plate Special!"

1499668_bluetang.jpg

This is Bluetang's 2011 winning dish in the "New Year's Traditions" Throwdown. View the vote thread

As chosen by CharredApron for winning the "Food Truck Cookin'!" Throwdown.

CATEGORY DESCRIPTION - READ BEFORE ENTERING:

CharredApron said:
Lets do a "Blue Plate Special" Throwdown.

Americans have a time honored love for diners, drive-in's and dives. Lets replicate the ultimate dish from our favorite greasy spoon and show off your short order prowess. No special rules other than the standard throwdown rules apply. Lets see what y'all got!

P.S Paper Hats are optional:clap2:

You may submit entries that are cooked from Friday 4/10 through the entry submission deadline of 12 p.m. Central US Time on Monday 4/20/15.

Entry pictures must be submitted by 12 p.m. Central US Time on Monday 4/20/15.

***The below disclaimer is intended to prevent any and all douchebags from committing any and all forms of douchebaggery in the wrong place. BE ADVISED***

This thread is for all general discussion of the category, entries, be that discussion on topic or wackadoodled to any various degree. Woodpile rules WILL be enforced in this thread in regards to moderation.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have plates, but they are not blue OR special...I am farked! :wink:

Tell us something we didn't know, peeps! :-D

Now, I have a question. A short order is not the same as a blue plate, in my eye. A short order can be fried eggs and hash browns, or even just a burger. To me a blue plate is an entree and two to three sides, or just three to four sides without the entree. Is it both, either, or what?

Now, I have a question. A short order is not the same as a blue plate, in my eye. A short order can be fried eggs and hash browns, or even just a burger. To me a blue plate is an entree and two to three sides, or just three to four sides without the entree. Is it both, either, or what?
Good point. When I think of a "blue plate" meal, meatloaf pops to the front of my mind. Not a short order dish.

Short Orderd Cook Job Description. Prepare and cook to order a variety of foods that require only a short preparation time. May take orders from customers and serve patrons at counters or tables. Grill, cook, and fry foods such as french fries, eggs, and pancakes pheasent under glass, Duck l'orange, etc. Simple fast cooked items

Short Orderd Cook Job Description. Prepare and cook to order a variety of foods that require only a short preparation time. May take orders from customers and serve patrons at counters or tables. Grill, cook, and fry foods such as french fries, eggs, and pancakes pheasent under glass, Duck l'orange, etc. Simple fast cooked items

Well, of course. But a blue plate special brings to mind foods that take some time to cook though. Greens or beans for example. As Dads pointed out, meatloaf even. Salisbury steak would be another. Roast beef. So which is it, or is it both?

Of course, Ray. However, it's not the same as a short order. Two different approaches to a meal entirely. Which begs another question. Do we have to source the sides from the institutional aisle at our grocers? :becky:

Thanks Silver. For those that don't want to click, here is what it says:

Blue-plate special or blue plate special is a term used in the United States by restaurants, particularly (but not only) diners and cafes. It refers to a specially low-priced meal, which usually changes daily. It typically consists of a "meat and three" (three vegetables), presented on a single plate, often a divided plate, rather than on separate dishes. The term was very common from the 1920s through the 1950s. As of 2007, there are still a few restaurants and diners that offer blue-plate specials under that name, sometimes on blue plates, but it is a vanishing tradition. The phrase itself, however, is still a common American colloquial expression.[citation needed]
A web collection of 1930s prose gives this definition: "A Blue Plate Special is a low-priced daily diner special: a main course with all the fixins, a daily combo, a square for two bits."[1]

Lots of on topic posts in the delinquent thread...

Thinking about perhaps entering this one.....I have a divided plate....it might possibly even be Blue ( or maybe that's that salmon / peach colored one I'm thinking about?)

But, then saw this:

"It typically consists of a "meat and three" (three vegetables), presented on a single plate, often a divided plate, rather than on separate dishes. The term was very common from the 1920s through the 1950s. As of 2007, there are still a few restaurants and diners that offer blue-plate specials under that name, sometimes on blue plates, but it is a vanishing tradition. The phrase itself, however, is still a common American colloquial expression.[citation needed]
A web collection of 1930s prose gives this definition: "A Blue Plate Special is a low-priced daily diner special: a main course with all the fixins, a daily combo, a square for two bits."[1]"

A square? For two bits?

Meat & THREE vegetables? For 25 cents?

Hmmmmm.......:heh:

Wonder if a slug burger would qualify. Originally, it was called that because it only cost a nickel, so it was an affordable meal. AND, it could be considered a short order too...

Back