Contest Announcment BBQ FESTIVAL & Competition - Middletown, CT

CodyJ.

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Taino Smokehouse in Middletown, CT is throwing its annual BBQ Festival.
This is not a KCBS sanctioned event, however, there will be two KCBS judges overseeing and judging for the event.
The format has been altered from a usual KCBS event which makes it fun and different.

This is a good opportunity for young teams to get some experience and also some experienced teams to participate in a non-sanctioned event.

There is also a People's Choice competition for Chicken Wings and Pork.
Eating contests too.

For more details:
Contact info: contact@tainosmokehouse.com or 860-358-9828
Taino Smokehouse can also be found on Facebook

Attachments

• Taino.jpg
    Taino.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 216
That is too bad. It's always a good time! There wil be another event in October

Ck the kind sight to confirm no other events are happening for bigger draw

Wow. The KCBS site shows zero events in the northeast that weekend. There may be other events going on though of the non affiliated variety.

Team Meat is planning on being there to defend our Wings... Hopefully they will get their math right the first time around...

Yeah. That was wack. They'll get it right this time.
Goat Locker will be there :)

basically a lot more relaxed. A good / bad thing turn in times can vary dramatically, judging was not blind. Very family friendly and quite relaxed.

basically a lot more relaxed. A good / bad thing turn in times can vary dramatically, judging was not blind. Very family friendly and quite relaxed.

I'm not to happy about the lack of blind judging and can you explain what you mean by varying turn-in times? Do you know in advance when you are turning food in?

Thanks,

Eric

Hold up. Turn in times are set. But it wasn't blind in the past. You bring your meat up to the judges in a random order that was determined the day if the event. There are 3-4 judges that taste everyone's food. This is different from KCBS. In a KCBS comp you could get a table that scores stupid low/high for no reason. The chicken category is "open". Lots of people do wings. This year it is all chicken. No frying. It is a chill atmosphere and family/dog freindly. You don't have health inspectors up your ass for giving out leftovers. There is a beer truck. Bands. Whatever. Good time.

Not "all" chicken. Just any part you want to use as long as there are enough for all the judges. Same as KCBS

There are 3-4 judges that taste everyone's food. This is different from KCBS. In a KCBS comp you could get a table that scores stupid low/high for no reason.

I gotcha. I definitely want to support small comps, informal or not.

I'm just not comfortable with non-blind judging when competing. I would have no idea if the judges brother in law was competing, if a pretty girl served the food, etc. Do you just drop off the food or do you discuss what it is? For example, when presenting the ribs, do you just bring it up, put them down and leave or do you say 'these are elk ribs, shipped in from Montana, slow smoked with a special cumin rub, blahbity, blah, blah'?

How many teams are they expecting to compete? With only three judges, that might be a LOT of meat that they are consuming.

Eric

My call, friends of friends win or firemen/police just saying. Total blind unbiased or not worth it IMHO.

Does anyone know how the people's choice portion of this event work?

Do we need food handling certificates? How much do we need to prepare? Are there prizes?

Eric

According to the People's Choice rules, they are expecting roughly 25 teams and they are only using 3 judges for the 'judged' portion. That means that the judges will be consuming more than 4 times the amount of food than they normally would.

I hope that they don't run into food fatigue for whoever is turning in their food last. Do they need more judges or is this a deliberate decision for some reason?

Eric

Back