• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Could someone help me with brisket cook time?

Sigurd

Got Wood.
Reaction score
I bought a 14lb Choice packer. I have trimmed about 5.5lbs of fat off, and I am left with 8.5lb of meat. I have the pit running right now, 9:45pm, and hoping for 250F. It's a homemade UDS and it won't run at 225F consistently. The goal is to eat at 6pm tomorrow, about 20 hours away. Should I be putting this thing on at midnight? Can I get away with 5 or 6am? This is my second brisket cook. I'd appreciate some thoughts. Thanks.

Good thing you have a good time window. Ruff rule of thumb, 1.5 hours per lb at that temp.

Good Luck!

on edit you said 6PM. What Cook said below.

This is BluDawgs K.I.S.S. brisket... I'm doing this tomorrow, hasn't failed me yet.

K.I S.S. some of the best brisket you will ever eat! Total cook time including the rest 8 hrs or less. I promise it will be as moist as mornin dew on the lilly, tender as a mothers love, pure beefy smoky goodness.

1 packer 12-15 lb
Trim off the hard fat on each side of the flat thin the fat cap to 1/4"

Mix your Rub
1 part kosher salt 4 parts Med grind Black peppa by volume( this is a true 50/50 BY weight)
apply a coat of rub you need to be able to see the meat through the rub clearly.

Pre heat the pit to 300 deg
place brisket on the pit Fat Cap Down and point to the firebox unless it is a RF cooker then point to away from FB

Maintain pit between 275-325 if cookin on a stick burner
cook Brisket 4 hrs
remove from pit wrap in a single layer of Butcher paper Return to pit Fat cap up.
after 1 hr probe the thicket part of the Flat only! If it isn't *probe tender it will be within 1 hr.
once it is probe tender remove from the pit keep it wrapped in the paper you cooked it in and allow it to rest on your counter until the Internal temp reaches 150 this will take about two hrs.
Don't ever slice more than you can eat big pieces retain moisture and won't dry up on you like slices will.

Okay folks, I'm going to split the difference. 3:30am it is. We need to get to sleep.

Here's my notes from a brisket a year ago. Worked out well! Sorry not pics.
Trying blu dawgs brisket
Started fire at 8:30
Trimmed the meat and rubbed with oakridge black ops brisket rub
Put the meat on at 9:00
Smoked for 4 hours and wrapped at 1:00
Put on wrapped for 2 hours and pulled at 3:00. Let it rest for 2 hours. Served at 5:00.
The flat was okay, not very moist. The rub was VERY GOOD!

3:30 seems too early. Bin there done that. The above was done on my home made UDS. Good luck!

I got the meat on at 3:45am. Now at 7:45, it's at 174F already! The UDS has been steady at 228F, for once. I figured better safe than sorry as far as having it done by dinnertime.

It is now 12:15pm, 8.5 hours in. The smoker has risen to 260F by itself. The meat has not budged from 174-176F for at least 4.5 hours now. I know that this is the stall, but should I be worried yet?

I wouldn't worry, you could bump the heat up or wrap it if you need too.

We just got done with dinner, festivities and cleaning. It was excellent! I cranked it up to 300F. The stall went for a whopping 7 hours. After 12 hours, internal temperature was 203F in places and 199 in places. I pulled it, foiled it and cooler'd it for 2 hours. It was absolutely fantastic. Maybe a bit dry, but it bit through real well, crunchy bark and pulled apart real easy in your fingers.

DSCF1122JPG_zpsk3zklwtn.jpg

DSCF1123JPG_zpseexwnbgy.jpg

No pictures of the rest of dinner, but my wife made a version of cheesy potatoes, my mother brought fruit salad, and my mother-in-law brought slaw salad. We had both sets of parents over for dinner. It was a great evening. Oh, and strawberry shortcake with homemade whipped cream for dessert, thanks to my wife. Drool.

Nice job! The stall is the great mind game with brisket. It's a matter of time when the evaporative cooling of the stall ends and then temp starts climbing fast again. Great job and good note to self: I don't have a broken brisket, it's just a long stall.

If you're looking at internal temps and stall times then step back for a moment. Brisket is done when it probes tender - period! Time and temp are only distractions.

Thanks. I was probing it about every hour, and it did probe like butter in most places, but not in the thickest part of the flat. I took it off when it was all tender. Would that have been too late?

If you're looking at internal temps and stall times then step back for a moment. Brisket is done when it probes tender - period! Time and temp are only distractions.

Period is right, but there's two portions to a packer: point and flat. The anatomy of the brisket is such that different portions cook at different rates. It's no accident that burnt ends are a delicacy . They taste good and they're a common by product of brisket points because a pit master knows they'll cook differently (faster) than the rest of the brisket.

The OP is asking for practical advice and simply dead panning that it's done when it probes tender doesn't help. As you can also see, he was probing tender in certain parts but not the thickest portion. Digital thermometer is the way to go.

Thanks. I was probing it about every hour, and it did probe like butter in most places, but not in the thickest part of the flat. I took it off when it was all tender. Would that have been too late?

I'm a believer that it's too late when the thickest part of the flat is probe tender on the smoker. I used to go to 203 in thickest part of flat but now I pull at 195. I find that the rest phase still takes it to 198 and the other portions aren't so dry the next day when eating leftovers

KISS rules! If your looking you ain't cooking.. Not simple but not hard either, really.

I build a good fire get good coal base in the "smoker" maybe take an around and hour, then put brisket on when pit runs steady 275-300 range, feed fire, feed fire. never raise lid, feed fire, feed fire, wrap at @ 165, feed fire after 9-10 hours forget about the stall check IT temp, probe, Normal they get probe tender at 195 to 200 temp checked between flat and point. Each brisket varies! Let rest till IT is @150, pop a top, slice. enjoy

With real Q your fire does the cooking, you tend the fire and all goes well. Keep jacking with the pit, mopping, juicing, petting, and not manning the fire you "can" screw things up.

PS throw away the measuring spoons and cups. It's a pinch, a palm full, or a bunch, too much is when it runs down your arm.

That is why they are called pit masters, pit bosses, and not a cookie.

Back