• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

smoked chicken,, my ultimate challenge

J

jaejw1

ever since having my smoker,, CHARGRILLER Smoke-n-Pro,,, i have smoked many of chickens only to have them not be cooked through... only one batch came out well...

tonight i will be smoking chicken for the family ,, welcoming them back from 2.5weeks of vacation (and to mark the end of my bachelor weeks,, damn)

wish me luck,,, i will post pics as i prep, cook and serve...

We'll be lookin forward to the post and pics.

Do you use a meat thermometer to check before you pull them off? Also, what temps and how long do you cook?

GOOD LUCK!!!:thumb:

I have gotten to where I brine and spatchcock my chickens, cook at about 350 and we LOVE 'em that way. Blessings on your cook and reunion :)

I have had great luck on my BGE cooking around 350-375 on a raised grid for about an hour to reach internal 185-190*. Perfectly smoked (cherry) and done, yet as moist and tender as anyone could ask. Wife begs me for this about once per week. I use the spatchcock method.

my last one and only good batch was smoked for 3.5hrs at 250degrees ,,, occasionally rising to 275degrees ...

used pecan,, cherry and hickory smoke.. in that order...

gonna use a mustard mix (honey mustard, spicy deli mustard and hot mustard) as my marinade and pollo seasoning....

I do what jaejw1 said - temps in the 275-280* range.
Spatchcock method
Usually takes 2.5 to 3 hours. VERY moist.
I cooked 3 of them last weekend for a group party and it was a HIT. Everyone wanted to know how I kept it so moist/juicy.

Get a good meat thermometer and then match your favorite cooking temps with the average time it takes to get to the proper internal temperature. This insures correct doneness of the chicken and helps you determine (over time) the ideal time and temp for the results you like the best.

Good luck with your reunion!

I stuff mine with seasoning, so they go in my COS whole. I try to jeep if chuggin along at 275-300. I use a remote thermometer and another one for spot testing. A brine chicken does not need to get to 180 / 190F. I pull at about 165F and wrap in foil. That can take 2-3 hours. Never had one not cooked through.

Cheers!
Bill

first hour and half down..... will check temp in another 30minutes.. pics will follow

ok here are the pics..

the mustard marinade..

the seasoning..

1.5hrs on the smoke..

lump coal and chunks used..

thanks,,, it actually tasted good also .... took only 3hrs to smoke.. used a thermometer to test temp.... also did my canned baked beans in the smoker...

thanks,,, it actually tasted good also .... took only 3hrs to smoke.. used a thermometer to test temp.... also did my canned baked beans in the smoker...

Congratulations, looks good too. I never do chicken under 300 degrees myself. And I usually ramp it up hard towards the end for crispy skin.

Most of the time, I just open the beans and set the can on the grate.

Back