logo

Competition Report / Recommendation

dmprantz

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I just got back from the second anual St. Jacon, Illinois BBQ contest, recently dubbed Jacey in June. I have not been to a lot of comps, but I've been to a few, and I have to say that this is by far the most competitor friendly contest I have ever been to. I highly encourage any one who wants a nice, friendly competition and is close enough to consider this competition next year. A few of the many pros I can give are below:

It's cheap, only $150 to enter.

You can vend if you want to make some money. It costs $50 to vend, but a tone of ppl show up and love to buy the wares.

Saturday/Sunday comp, so you have more time to get there without missing work.

Power at every site, as well as a hose, complete with a spray gun attached at the end.

Every site has a huge garbage can for you!

Air conditioned building on site with bathrooms, kitchen and sink, and you can even sleep in there if you want.

Free entertainment, they had a band and stuff.

Every one there is just really friendly and willing to help out, including the town mayor.

Now, I just can't say enough about how great the people were at the camp, and I'm not dying to write any cons, but if I HAD to come up with any, here is a small list:

Grass only, so if you need concrete, good luck.

Scoring is kinda odd since they aren't a sanctioned KCBS event. They claimed it was the Canadian BBQ Scoring, but it doesn't match up to the CBA's website. Either way, it takes getting used to. They may try to get sangtioned next year, which would allow them to use KCBS scoring.

They were kinda slow at the end...it took them a while to actually write checks for the winners.

Still, all in all, it was a good comp. The organizer told me that he is considering changing turn in times next year to start at 10:00, allowing better use of Sat/Sun and more time for teams to vend. If you're close by, contact the village and put it on your calendaer...or don't.

dmp

Back