Pork Chop Smoke?

darita

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Wanna do some pork loin chops on the smoker. I see that many here like them direct. Do any of you smoke them and if so, tips on cook temps? IT 150*?
Thanks for the help!

Direct, indirect, or a combination of both; as long as you don't dry them out they will always be great... Pork chops are great smoked or even just grilled. Keep in mind that once you reach your target IT, they will climb a couple degrees after you take them off the grill/smoker. I prefer 145° but my wife won't eat pink, so she gets 155° and she is happy.

My favorite is to buy a bone-in pork loin and make Kassler Rippchen (German Smoked Pork Chops). If you don't have access to a bone saw, then you can use a boneless pork loin instead. Brine (with cure) for 2 to 4 days and then cold smoke for 12 hours. The traditional smoking wood is beech, but not readily available here, so I use a mixture alder and maple. The idea is not to cook at this point, but rather to to impart a light smoke flavor. Wrap and refrigerate the loin for two days, then cut into 1" chops. You can also roast the whole loin, but I prefer the chops.

I do a couple loins at a time and I vac-seal and freeze several meals from them for future use. The chops can be grilled or even pan fried in winter and have awesome smoke flavor.

Nice one, IamMadMan! For regular chops, I tend to follow Gore's approach, maybe even pulling at 140 and giving them a quick sear.

I recently did thick loin chops on the weber. I smoked them indirect for the cook before searing, but at a high temp. Quite good, but they didnt take on much smokiness. Maybe they would have at a lower temp.

You can smoke them, but I like chops with a little sear on them.

Suggestion - smoke the chops at 225-250 to about 120-125 IT. Pull and let them rest loosely covered for about 15 minutes. Put them on a hot grill to get some sear (maybe a minute / minute and change a side depending on how hot the grill is and how thick the chops are - judgement call) and pull them at around 145.

Back