• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

pre trimming chicken

yes you can !.. I pre-trim mine every chance i get.. it's a lot less to worry about on friday.

keep your chicken in a separate cooler too. Some meat inspectors like to see it that way.

I think you can in KCBS
I know you can in FBA
Keep original package lables and do not put any seasoning or juice on it....

Yes, you can trim meat before a contest. But make sure you have a receipt proving you bought it from a store. The reps may ask for it.

Yes, you can trim meat before a contest. But make sure you have a receipt proving you bought it from a store. The reps may ask for it.

I've never had a rep ask me for a receipt, but it doesn't mean it won't happen sometime. but i wonder what the sense is of asking for it ? There's nothing in the KCBS rules that says you need proof of buying the meat in a store or something. Hopefully a rep. or board member can shed some light on this receipt issue.

There's nothing in the rules about keeping chicken in a separate cooler either.

Our meat check-in must be pretty lax in this region. I rarely have to take meat out of the cooler and occassionally, do not even have to open the cooler. I wish we could have teams check each other in. We would do a better job of it and I would have to suffer the nuisance of waiting around before prepping.

When possible, try and trim all of your meat at home. You get the benefit of full kitchen facilities for trimming and more socializing at the contest.

I've never had a rep ask me for a receipt, but it doesn't mean it won't happen sometime. but i wonder what the sense is of asking for it ? There's nothing in the KCBS rules that says you need proof of buying the meat in a store or something. Hopefully a rep. or board member can shed some light on this receipt issue.

I had not either until this year, at the St. Joesph, Mo contest. We had trimmed our chicken & brisket before hand and had them in vac-u-seal bags & they asked us to prove that we had bought them from a store. Luckily we had our Sam's receipt.

You just never know what will happen from contest to contest.:roll:

I had not either until this year, at the St. Joesph, Mo contest. We had trimmed our chicken & brisket before hand and had them in vac-u-seal bags & they asked us to prove that we had bought them from a store. Luckily we had our Sam's receipt.

You just never know what will happen from contest to contest.:roll:

Could you imagine if you were Amish, and had raised your own chickens, pigs, and cows, and provided your own meat ? You'd be screwed if the rep asked for a receipt !!:lol:

There's nothing in the rules about keeping chicken in a separate cooler either.

you're right, there's not... but some meat inspectors like to say it's the local health dept.'s rule or something similar. I just pack it in a separate cooler to keep from having this argument.

I would contact the rep right away. If they were not available, I would have someone from the KCBS Board on the phone immediately if someone said I needed a receipt, original packaging or have to have my chicken in a separate cooler. As there is no rule for those and good luck enforcing it.

Since when do you have to be Amish to raise your own critters?I help a friend raise steers,and I am finally getting to try some brisket from an animal that I have seen raised from a couple days old to slaughter.The steers are butchered with a USDA inspector present.We see a lot of these animals go to friends and coworkers and several have talked with me about cooking briskets for them.I usually do a deal where they bring me 2 and they get one back and I get the other for cooking 1 for them.My quesion is these animals are butchered with a USDA inspector present and there is nothing in the rules that says you cant use them why not do it?Looking like I will get 5-7 briskets for myself out of this deal next spring.Our animals are pen raised with no growth hormones.It will be an interesting experiment.

Raising??

I have 4 animals...my wife calls them children but I am not sure...especiall the oldest he eats like a pig and would rather lay in mud than duds...animals...gees they might be cleaner

We always pre-trim chicken. It is very convenient.

Usually, I do it while having a giant Jack and Diet. <grin> The dishwasher is real handy for the slimy, plastic cutting board.

I have been asked to open the ziplock bag so the rep can smell the chicken. Have never been asked to prove the purchase. What the fark is difference if it was bought? If somebody pre-seasoned, that would be obvious at the inspection. (Besides, chicken takes on marinade fairly quickly. Who would want to marinade or season longer than overnight at a contest?)

I buy chicken from a local farm. They don't have fancy labels. You pay by the pound. From now on, I'll keep the receipt just for insurance.

After reading about pre trimming here before I figured I would do this for Dover. My brother convinced me to email and ask about this just incase... Fred's exact words were "Meat original package"

So if you trim do you stick the original package in the vacu seal/ziplock bag with it????

After reading about pre trimming here before I figured I would do this for Dover. My brother convinced me to email and ask about this just incase... Fred's exact words were "Meat original package"

So if you trim do you stick the original package in the vacu seal/ziplock bag with it????

Yes, that way theres no question about it!!

Never thought about getting a receipt for meat. All our comp meat is given to us by a sponsor who owns a meat market. May need to think about getting a receipt of some sort in case the reps need one. Good thread.

But again, whats the purpose of the receipt? As already stated its not in KCBS rulebook...why worry about such stuff? I must be thickheaded.

I think it boils down to the local HD wanting to see that the meat was bought somewhere that supposedly adheres to USDA standards.

After we were recently at a KCBS-sanctioned comp where the legality of pretrimming was questioned, I printed out a copy of the KCBS rules pertaining thereto and it now resides in our toolkit.

I think it boils down to the local HD wanting to see that the meat was bought somewhere that supposedly adheres to USDA standards.

I think this was the case in St. Joseph, Mo. The HD was putting down the law pretty hard. They even came around with a Temp gun to make sure the meat was at the right temp. There was a team that pre-cooked a TON of meat for a party and were reheating it on-site at the contest. The HD made them throw all the meat away because the meat was not at the right temp in the coolers.

We have not been asked to provide a receipt anywhere else, but we try to have our receipts just in case.

Back