Vending for a Bike show-questions

Beer Belly BBQ

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I recently got asked if I would like to be the lone food vendor for an upcoming motorcycle show. They do this show every other year and in 2015 had over 825 adults attend along with 80+ people vending different items and showing off bikes (children got in free). This event runs from 8:30-6:00 for one day only. I'm not so much concerned with cooking fresh vs. precook or pricing but what I am wondering is how many people will actually eat vs. just walk around for an hour or two and leave. Should I take the amount of people they had the last show and cut it in half? Also, should I offer them just a sandwich and charge for sides or offer them a full meal only? There is going to be an alcohol vendor onsite along with an eating area. Weather always plays a factor but this is in an indoor area. Also there is not a bbq joint in town so people may want to come just to get bbq.

Any ideas or comments would be appreciated.

Figure on feeding no more than 25% of the crowd. Then divide that 25% between vendors. Example - 10,000 people at festival then 2500 will eat and if there are 10 food vendors plan to feed 250 people. Others may chime in with better answers but this has worked for me but I don't vend too much anymore at festivals.

Thanks for the response. I was kind of figuring since it's the only thing going on in town (town of 5000) and being the only food vendor we would get something like 50% but maybe I am way off. You guys with festival vending would know better than me.

First I'd be wondering why there is only one food vendor. I've sat in this chair and found that sometimes people visit the event for a couple hours then plan on doing other things for the rest of the day. I wouldn't expect to sell anything until 11 at the soonest. I've found you get very little support from the exhibitors or other vendors unless you give them a deal. I've even had my help walk around the event slowly eating what we are selling hoping to generate some interest. I'd offer a couple different sandwiches and then separate sides. My sides would be cold like potato salad and slaw. I'd expect to sell to no more than 1/4 of the paid attendees and about the same exhibitors if they got a discount. Use what you learn this time to plan for two years from now. Thinking people will attend the event just for your Q is dreaming. I'm basing this info on getting talked into vending events like this over the last 20 years.

If 1000 people show up you can expect to serve between 100-250 people. It is possible to serve more but if you make plans for serving 500 and don't then all your profit will be tied up in the extra food you prepped. It's better to run out than to have way too much food left unless you have a back up plan where you can sell it elsewhere.

Also keep in mind that you have to keep the line moving, people don't want to wait in a long line for food. If weather permits move your cash registers out front under a pop-up so you have multiple lines to order/check-out.

A group of us go to several large bike rally events every year and we usually leave and go to a restaurant simply because we don't want to stand and wait in the sun for the slow moving lines. We would prefer to try some of the vendor's fare, but it isn't worth the long wait. Air Conditioned, large tables, and not over crowded where we can relax and chat.

Good luck....

Thanks for the responses. I will really have to take a look into what was sold in years past. Everything will be inside in an air conditioned building. As far as being the only food vendor, most events around here usually only have one food and one alcohol. Occasionally there is 2 food vendors but not all that common. I still have time before I have to commit so I will ask past vendors how much they sold. Thanks again.

Back