• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Oakridge rubs

qposner

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Was going to order some Oakridge rubs. What are the solid go to rubs to order? I've read a lot about them all and they all sound awesome! But, Im looking for the tried and true. Any recommendation on which rubs and size?

BTW - It looks like Amazon is darn near triple the price over ordering direct. Yikes!

I've honestly enjoyed their Santa Maria Steak Seasoning (and I've read several other folks around here using this stuff on plenty other meat options besides just a steak) and their Habanero Death Dust (aka "HDD").

I love the fact that I can buy a sampler pack... have purchased a VIP and an Ultimate Value pack in the past few months... Great chance to try pretty much everything they make!

I need to put in a special mention for the "HDD," as this stuff is amazing when you just want to kick up the heat in combination with another of your favorite rubs! Pick up a 16oz pack... you won't be disappointed.

Kind regards,
Shadow

Get the vip sampler pack. That let's you try them all, before you buy larger packs of the ones you like.

Was going to order some Oakridge rubs. What are the solid go to rubs to order? I've read a lot about them all and they all sound awesome! But, Im looking for the tried and true. Any recommendation on which rubs and size?

BTW - It looks like Amazon is darn near triple the price over ordering direct. Yikes!

I agree that if you are unsure go for the sampler package.... What ever you decide to try you will not be disappointed.... Lower salt and sugar than other rubs gives you more flavor..

My favorites are Secret Weapon for Pork and Chicken, Black Op's for Brisket, and Santa Maria on Steak and Prime Rib. Their Game Changer Brine is awesome and works great as an injection for Pork Butts/Shoulders. I got rid of my other rubs when I tried Oakridge..... can't beat the quality, and the taste they impart..

Last edited:
Like everybody has said, the big sampler pack is a great way to try for yourself.

I am a BIG fan of all their stuff. But, If you made me pick 3 It would be Santa Maria(general purpose and used most), Black Ops(beef rub) and Dominator sweet rib rub(If I'm wanting a nice sweet I reach for this).

Also, their rubs really shine if you let them set for about 30 mins before hitting the smoker/grill. Even though they are finely ground they make a great crust that has the best color around IMO.

I've bought all kinds of rubs and was never really happy with any of them until I tried Oakridge. Only rubs I will order. All of their rubs are very good. Some of my faves are Habanero Death Dust, Santa Maria, Black ops brisket.

You won't be disappointed with any of them. Sampler is the best way to try many but I agree on HDD, Dominator, Black Ops, Santa Maria. Crucible is sold out but watch for it next year

Oakridge will be the only place I buy rubs from any more. Top quality and very consistent.

HDD, Santa Maria, Black Ops and Dominator are all great.

Oakridge Black Ops is absolutely, hands down my favorite brisket rub.

The stuff is killer !!!!!!!

I bought the value pack and loved them. Only problem is my son is allergic to something in them. He has a severe dairy allergy and breaks out in hives if he comes into contact with any dairy or dairy bi product. As soon as he grows out of it (fingers crossed) I will be loading up.

I need to put in a special mention for the "HDD," as this stuff is amazing when you just want to kick up the heat in combination with another of your favorite rubs! Pick up a 16oz pack... you won't be disappointed.

Kind regards,
Shadow

I like all of them, HDD is the bomb

X3 :thumb:
I've only tried the HDD, amazing stuff love the heat :shock:, 16oz goes fast!
Need to try some of the others.

I have yet to try an Oakridge rub that wasn't absolutely stellar. What I truely love about them is their versatility too. The Black Ops isn't just good for brisket, it's good for all things beef, and as a general seasoning too. The HDD is the best hot rub you'll find anywhere, especially on chicken and pork (Shake a little on your good and greasy steak fries too...). The Venison and Wild Game also winds up being a perfect match with lamb. The Santa Maria is, well, good on every thing too. I can go on and on and on...

Dominator, secret weapon, black ops and Santa Maria is what I always use.

Love SW and Dominator! Just how spicey is the HDD? Are we talking 4 alarm fire?

Love SW and Dominator! Just how spicey is the HDD? Are we talking 4 alarm fire?

The HDD is not really over-poweringly HOT, but just enough to wake up your taste buds. I frequently mix it with Dominator rib rub on all types of pork for a nice balanced flavor.

The HDD is as hot as you want it to be, I control the heat by how much I use.

I frequently add a light dusting to almost everything, just for that little zing. It pairs well with the Secret Weapon or any other rub.

Used by itself, it can be very hot.

Back