can somebody explain smoked tri-tip to me?!

Found some matches.
Reaction score
I see here folks smoke tri-tips... My question is, its so lean, when I cook it I sear on hot side of a kettle then finish for about 15 minutes on the cold side for med-rare. Doesn't it get chewy smoking it? I get brisket and do that low and slow but it has a ton of fat... I'm sorry if this is a stupid question but I'd love to try a new method and just don't want to mess with a good thing...

I've never done a tri-tip but I've smoked sirloin roasts, I'll hang mine in the WSM and go about 325, for an IT of 125, usually turns out good, using hickory or oak.

Ok so the idea is still low internal temperature then? I guess I was envisioning a really long cook time with some seriously over done insides, this makes more sense...

I cooked one earlier this week @ 300 degrees for about an hour. It was still super tender.

I've never done a tri-tip but I've smoked sirloin roasts, I'll hang mine in the WSM and go about 325, for an IT of 125, usually turns out good, using hickory or oak.
Overall I would continue to cook it the way you have been BUT... if you can get your pit temp up to the 325 range as Ol'Joe described or higher you may be able to sear and smoke at the same time with good results. I think that I'd go even higher, maybe the 350 + range and break out the Maverick or something to monitor the IT.:-D

I cook mine in a Kamado Joe using 2 zone cooking, so your results may differ. I cook mine at about 300 (on the "deflected" side of the grill) or so until the IT is 115º. Then, I remove and open my vents and get my grill up to 700º or higher and sear for about 1:30 per side, and then an additional :30 per side. Med rare to Med and it's super tender, flavorful and juicy. TriTip has become one of my favorite beef cuts recently.

I rank tri tip as one of the best roast for sliced roast beef. It's right up there in the pantheon of roasts. The rib is king, strip loin is the right up there. Tenderloin is just as good for different reasons. Tri tip is right of the top of the second tier, it's basically a 1 A. There is a ton of fat laced through it, if you look close you can see the little beads of fat in it.

If you're looking for some smoke flavor, I would cook/smoke it at a lower temp. Maybe around 250, just like how you might smoke a butt or brisket. This way you will get a little more time in the smoke. Then like Smirak, I'd pull it at about 115 internal temp and grill it off.

When I cook a tritip, I rub it a few hours (sometimes overnight) before and keep it very cold. From there I take it straight from cold to my smoker. I smoke at the lowest temperature I can (usually 225-250). When the meat hits an internal temp of 115-120 I take it out and let it rest for a bit while I heat a grill or broiler to high heat. I then sear the outside to a crust and try to get the internal temperature to 130-135.

There is also the trisket method. Cook a tri-tip just like you would a brisket. Go by probe tender for final result.
Odd as it may seem, this will produce a moist, tender, not overcooked piece of very flavorful beef.

I see here folks smoke tri-tips... My question is, its so lean, when I cook it I sear on hot side of a kettle then finish for about 15 minutes on the cold side for med-rare. Doesn't it get chewy smoking it? I get brisket and do that low and slow but it has a ton of fat... I'm sorry if this is a stupid question but I'd love to try a new method and just don't want to mess with a good thing...

Try doing a reverse sear, as some others have suggested using inidirect first, then direct over very high heat to finish and sear. I add a chunk of oak or pecan to the hot side of the grill, keep the meat on the cool side, then when it hits about 110, put it one the hot side. The meat absorbs plenty of smoke during the initial cook, and is just plain awesome.

Here's a pic of Tri-Tip I did using the reverse sear - you can see a nice smoke ring along the edges:

DSC_0381.jpg

Full cook thread is here:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=124717

Hmm never tried a reverse sear before, that meat looks great! I agree, tritip is one of my favorites! If we ever have leftovers I use it for French dip. The trisket concept sounds interesting too. Thanks all!

Hmm never tried a reverse sear before, that meat looks great! I agree, tritip is one of my favorites! If we ever have leftovers I use it for French dip. The trisket concept sounds interesting too. Thanks all!

I'm with you on the french dips. We pull out the rotary slicer, slice it super thin, and man, does that leftover tri-tip make the best french dips!

Here's a whole tutorial I did a few years back on the reverse sear, along with an explanation of the science behind it:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=136959

I'm with you on the french dips. We pull out the rotary slicer, slice it super thin, and man, does that leftover tri-tip make the best french dips!

Here's a whole tutorial I did a few years back on the reverse sear, along with an explanation of the science behind it:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=136959

In reading that, I guess I just realized I use that method for everything except tritip, I guess I just got used to it and never tried anything else. Good read, thanks!

Does Tri-tip go by any other name? I haven't come across it here at all.

On the other hand, I haven't gone looking for it either, but I'd like to try it.

On the other hand, I haven't gone looking for it either, but I'd like to try it.

I think I had read somewhere that it's a west coast thing, but don't quote me on that...

I had never seen it up here until this past weekend. I was at Wal-Mart and just happened to check the meat case to see what their beef ribs looked like and they had about 10 tri-tips.

Tri-Tips have quickly become one of my favorite cuts of beef. I reverse sear as others have described above. It doesn't take long to cook one, and it turns out tender, juicy, and delicious.

I'm a sandwich kinda guy, so I won't even wait for it to become leftovers before I make a French Dip. Thin sliced, piled high on a Ciabatta or Sourdough roll, maybe some caramelized onions, slice of Pepper Jack, dipped in some Au Jus, juices running down my arms...

I think I need a smoke... :redface:

I'm also a fan of the reverse sear! But whatever the pit temp or technique (hot and fast, slow and low) the main goal is hitting your ideal internal temperature. I go for 125ºF.

Back