The Smoke Ninja Challenge

ebijack

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Well I picked up my loaned out modified Acorn today and delivered to Smoke Ninja. 16 degrees out right now, winds in the 20+ MPH range and gusting, wind chills around -20 and dropping to low single digits /-35 tonight.
I found the guy I loaned my Acorn to, did NOT take care of it. The ash pan completely full of ash and solid like a rock. My grill grate I made was all rusty and the swing grate wouldn't move.
So anyway, with temps being in the below zero readings for the weekend, Smoke Ninja is going to try smoking some meat! After burning off all the crud, rust etc and dumping the full ash pan. I recommended he run what coals are in the coal basket at max temp before doing anything.
Your mission: see if you are able to work the Acorn without much trouble and how you like the Acorn.
Good luck :twitch:
And we want photos! :biggrin1:

Good luck. I'm cooking a chicken indoors for the first time in a lot of years. The winds are blowing the snow sideways and rocking the kettle. My wife is baking, so the oven is on anyways.

I'm curious how you dig the Akorn. It's on my short list for a new cooker. I know there were some mods done to this one. I love ribs so I'm looking forward to this.

I'm curious how you like the Akorn too. I may just be dumb, but I cant get mine to make any low and slow (smoked) food taste very good at all. Mine is on probation right now. Meaning it may end up on Craigslist soon. :biggrin1: Only thing making me wanna keep it is it's wonderful on a really cold/windy day if I wanna through on some steaks, burgers, or whatever that I can cook at 400 or higher. But man once the temps get going on that thing.....watch out! It'll just keep going and going and going.....

The challenge really is can Smoke Ninja use the Acorn with only a 5 minute run down on how to use it and in 0 temps, 25 to 35 MPH, real feel temps down to -35 degrees. I believe he can. The last guy was able to control it without a problem, just not in these terrible conditions (wimp) :mrgreen:. I sure wish that guy would have taken care of the Acorn. Would have made it a lot easier on Smoke Ninja just to start off.
But Steve did bring this on himself as he has requested using it to see if he really wants an Acorn. So the best of luck. I hope he likes it! And hope it works as well for him as it has for me. We might have to do a deal/trade on his small stick burner he got from Buttburner, if he really likes the Acorn. Ya never know :biggrin1: I'm always open to learn (and modify if required) another smoker. I think I can make room for it.

:biggrin1:
The challenge really is can Smoke Ninja use the Acorn with only a 5 minute run down on how to use it and in 0 temps, 25 to 35 MPH, real feel temps down to -35 degrees. I believe he can. The last guy was able to control it without a problem, just not in these terrible conditions (wimp) :mrgreen:. I sure wish that guy would have taken care of the Acorn. Would have made it a lot easier on Smoke Ninja just to start off.
But Steve did bring this on himself as he has requested using it to see if he really wants an Acorn. So the best of luck. I hope he likes it! And hope it works as well for him as it has for me. We might have to do a deal/trade on his small stick burner he got from Buttburner, if he really likes the Acorn. Ya never know :biggrin1: I'm always open to learn (and modify if required) another smoker. I think I can make room for it.

I'm putting my money on Ninja....after all he is a Ninja!

Too bad he doesn't live closer, I'd think about selling him my Akorn if he really liked it. Akorn, smoke stone and cover for a good price.....probably half what it would all cost new......and its only about 6 months old too...

I gladly accept. Tomorrow's temps are expected to be -30 wind chill. I'll see how she fairs. I'm thinking ribs. It's never too cold to Q.
I'll be with you brother ninja son...my TD cook it'll be minus 5 with UN godly wind chills.

Shouldn't there be some action by now? If he waits much longer, it will be grilling, not smoking.

I'm so sorry you got your Acorn back in that condition, Tom. Maybe should think twice before lending it to that friend again. But on the bright side, lending it to Steve, he gets to find out what he wants to know, and you get a clean Acorn in return. Win/win! :clap2:

I'm so sorry you got your Acorn back in that condition, Tom. Maybe should think twice before lending it to that friend again. But on the bright side, lending it to Steve, he gets to find out what he wants to know, and you get a clean Acorn in return. Win/win! :clap2:

Yeah I still have 2 other smokers out on loan. Actually it is the only way I can have so many smokers. I just don't have the room. If Steve does like it, I'm sure we will work something out. It is a great smoker, just not for me. One of my UDS's is supposed to be going out on a long vacation to another friend who wants to learn smoking. ( that opens up room for Ninja's stick burner, after his hands freeze today :biggrin1:)

Back