Preparing Beef Ribs

Goyo626

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Need the brethren's help once again. Im planning on smoking both pork spare ribs as well as beef ribs. I havent done beef ribs before so im a little un clear on the time vs spare ribs. Im probably going for a texas style beef rib salt pepper paprika. I usually spritz pork ribs with apple juice and apple cider vinegar but i dont know if beef ribs need or are improved by spritzing mopping basting. Also, should the pork go on top rack or bottom rack?

Thanks in advance.

I treat beef ribs like any other beef I typically cook. Salt, pepper, and sometimes a little garlic powder. Nothing fancy. And I don't spritz or mop anything, pork, beef, or otherwise.

As for the rack, if you're planning on having them finish at about the same time, it really doesn't matter. But the beef ribs will take longer, so putting those on the rack that get a little more heat will help speed up the cooking time a bit.

I treat beef ribs like any other beef I typically cook. Salt, pepper, and sometimes a little garlic powder. Nothing fancy. And I don't spritz or mop anything, pork, beef, or otherwise.

As for the rack, if you're planning on having them finish at about the same time, it really doesn't matter. But the beef ribs will take longer, so putting those on the rack that get a little more heat will help speed up the cooking time a bit.
Yep! It's pretty much the same as pork spares but they will take more time. Beef ribs are something that I prefer doing lower and slower because they tend to have a lot more of the gristly connective tissues that need to be rendered out and that takes time. I treat mine almost like a brisket and when they start to probe tender I'll wrap them in butcher paper and put them in a cooler with towels to try and hold the temp of the meat as long as possible before it comes back down. After an hour or two there isn't much of anything tough that's holding the meat together and it bites through pretty easily. One definite thing to note though, is that the beef ribs should be peeled! You just think that the membrane on pork spares are tough!!!LOL! You will want to at least score the daylights out of it for sure in the event that the thing doesn't want to peel off.

thanks guys. Ill prob cook @ about 250 since that is where the wsm wants to settle.

Let us know how they come out and what your experience is on these - I'm going to do some this weekend myself. I'm going to do them differently than I've done in the past, so I'm looking forward to my cook, and looking forward to hear how yours goes too. Pics are nice if you can!

Seldom do beef ribs but will start looking more often. Thanks oldbill for the info above.

Goyo, I'd go pork on top assuming heat source below.

thanks guys. Ill prob cook @ about 250 since that is where the wsm wants to settle.
That's a good temp I think, I personally wouldn't go any higher than 275 for sure. There are some high and fast guys on here that have other ideas but again, I think that beef ribs should be given a little more time to do their thing!:wink:

There beef back ribs. The only two reason im trying them ate I saw some episode on travel channel and they had beef ribs on and they looked awesome and a local supermarket is having a sale 99cents /lb. Call me supersticious but i took it as a sign. I'll try and take pics hopefully of a successful cook.

Back