I'm going to need a crane....

IFlyEm

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
One of the drawbacks to living in SoCal is the houses are so close together. So since I have a 30" door on my gate I'm going to have to figure out alternatives.

The easiest is probably getting a crane and hoisting it over a 6' wall into my back yard. Might be able to use a Lift-All.

Anyone deal with this before?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 531
rent a boom truck don`t put outrigers down pick up load run boom all the way out pick up load boom down till truck flips over nice size hole in wall take smoker trough hole fix wall really feel sorry for people that live that close

The fence probably needs replacing anyway right? Ha ha.

I'm not sure what business to call who could lift a pit over a 6' fence - it's probably not that big a deal to do, but who to call with the equipment at reasonable cost?

I've wondered the same thing so I'll be watching this thread.

I actually got a quote for $450 from a crane company. It's not uncommon out here. They do it frequently with HVAC stuff and hot tubs.

People widen fence gates all the time. Is that just impossible here? What if you ever need to get it back out? I'd spend the $450 on a wider gate door and have a better long term solution :grin:[/QUOTE

+ 1

What kind of fence do you have? Not sure what's out in cali. I have vinyl and its super easy to remove a section between the posts.

You said "wall". Is it a fence or a wall? Fences are usually installed in 8 foot sections and it's easy to temporarily remove a section of fence. If it's a wall, sound slike you hit the nail on the head with a crane. Depending on the wall and gate costs, I might look at widening my gate so I could remove it later on without a crane.

Assuming it is a wall then the crane will be the ticket. On the plus side, you won't have to worry about anyone stealing it out of your yard :p

I'm assuming the smoker is already purchased so the option (unpopular as it is among the Brehtren) of "going smaller" is gone.

And you said "Wall" not "Fence"- so some temporary de-construction is off the table.

Sounds like "crane" is your only option.

Or -that scene in Animal House where the guy is trying to get the dead horse out of Dean Wormer's office.

From your description of the "wall", I'm assuming it is some kind of concrete block construction. If it were me I'd try to cut in a larger gate opening or a second gate opening; one of these days you will want to move it back out for something.

Edit: Or give Tyler a call and discuss options. To me to looks like the 24x50 patio might fit through a 30" opening except for the rear axle & tires (firebox end). Maybe they could figure out a way to make the axle a bolt on so you could put that end on a floor jack, remove the axle & tires temporarely, slide that end through the gate then put the axle & tires back in place to wheel it home. Those Shirley boys are some pretty smart folks, bet they can help you with a solution.

Last edited:
Take the big axle and wheels off. The firebox end wheels are the widest spot on your cooker, and the only part of the smoker that would be wider than 30". I do not know how to dismantle the axle etc off hand, but I am sure its possible. They had to put it together, right?

I would take the big wheels off and use a dolly under the Firebox to get it past the skinny stuff. Then put it back together.

I will measure mine tonight, but I'm going to say its bigger than 30". The firebox is 24-25"ish.. its probably 38-40" with the big wheels.

Dave has the right idea... Talk to Tyler and Paul. A bolt on axle is a great idea!

Call a Towing Co. any Class C wrecker will get 'er done and a whole lot less than paying for crane service.

Back