Time to build a new smoker

U

undertaker

I totally scored today! :p I got an old 250 gallon propane tank for free! When I say old, its not stone age, but it hasn't had propane in it for a couple of years and has just been sitting in this guy's field. Now I'm looking for a trailer to mount it on so I can go get it (I will definitely post pics once I pick it up). Now I am just trying to figure out what my plan of action is going to be for making the conversion.

Here is my question though: anyone here ever convert one of these and/or mind sharing pics of what they did? I have been searching the forums and such but I still am not totally sure what to do with it.

There's a site somewhere online that shows how to convert a propane tank. Cant remember what it is though

First and foremost, you need to make sure all the propane is vented and properly evacuated before cutting into the unit. Serious property damage and likely death will occur from just cutting into the thing no matter how long it set. Propane is heavier than air and can still occupy the tank. I recommend taking all the bungs out and placing a fan blowing in one (out the other situation) for a few days before doing anything that involves a spark.

I will definitely be taking every precaution to make sure that the propane is totally exhausted. I've been in the funeral business for a while and have actually buried someone who died when a propane tank blew. Granted he wasn't building a smoker, but it still scares me enough that I'm not going to take any chances.

best of luck, we got our tank and trailer last week and we are contemplating the perfect marriage for the 2, probably going to weld some L channel to the tank and bolt that to the trailer.

I built a reverse flow "Lang Clone" out of a similar chunk of steel, and have no problem sending out the plans I created for the build. Granted the dimensions would all be different, but the idea would be the same. PM me with your e-mail addy if your interested.

-scott

LOL, this reminds me of when my redneck buddies got their 500 gallon propane tank. It had been open to the atmosphere for years, and they ran compressed air and diesel exhaust through it, then when they got ready to make their first cut, they heated that bad boy up, wrapped wire around the torch handle to flow oxgen, laid it down there to blow the hole and ran like hell! :p LOL, no worries, it went fine.

It pays to be darned careful, though. I know another feller who had a man come to cut the ends out of an old diesel tank he was gonna use for a culvert. The pro welder dropped dry ice in there and then ran a diesel exhaust through it forever. Then he sat atop it and started to cut. BOOM! :icon_bugeyed It was literally heard for 10 miles (people came from everywhere to see what it was), the ends blew out, one of them hit my buddy's pickup door and smashed it in. My buddy was in the truck, good thing the door was between him and that tank end. Welder was unhurt because he was sitting on top. Now this is a welder who was hired specifically because he had done lots and lots of these tanks. Be careful, man!

HOTAND COLD, you add a couple stacks with slider dampers on top to each end, and that plan would look exactly like my buddies' propane tank smoker. I do recommend adding a heavy spring over the top of each door to aid in opening, though. Man, they are HEAVY!

Back