sparks from chimney starter

hhoenig

Reaction score
Recently switched from Kingsford charcoal to lump hardwood. when using the chimney starter there are a lot sparks flying out. That is not an issue with 2 ft. of snow on the ground but is a concern during the summer when grilling on the deck. Does anyone have this worry and what do you do to control the sparks?

I will start mine in the grass, most of the time on an ant bed (just a revenge issue I have) then bring to my grill or smoker. I don't think the sparks are too big to do any damage. I have had them hit my arms before and didn't really burn at all.

I put mine on my charcoal cooker grill grate so sparks and grit falls in the kettle, then I dump in my vertical or kamado. No worries (of course no issue with the pellet pooper and I often use an 1100 watt elec burner in the verticle and AmazinTube smoker for sausage!)

If concerned keep an extinguisher near by or a big pitcher of water.

I don't think the sparks will be a problem on a wooden deck, either, I haven't seen burn damage from the sparks even in dry summer grass. I have stepped with bare feet on the odd small ember that fell through the chimney before dumping it in my kamado, though. Didn't make me put on shoes or use the grill lid as a catch basin but I do pay more attention where I step when dumping. I light my chimney on a grill, too, my smoking and grilling equipment is set up on the lawn right now. My equipment will move on to patio stones under an open-sided shack when I build it.

Lump will do that. I start mine in the corner of my fire basket or use the chimney on the shelf in the smoker.

Good job getting off the bluebag. Much less mess mess to clean and I think lump is a better value.

I use mine on a deck and I've never had a problem. So far anyway.

I sometimes use the lid from my old Smokey Joe to contain sparks and shield my chimney from the rain. Just open the top damper all the way and know that the extreme heat will warp your lid over time.

This setup gets me weird looks from the neighbors too as a bonus!

EndAug2012Wok030.jpg

EndAug2012Wok040.jpg

EndAug2012Wok041.jpg

I never had any issues from the sparks. I set my chimney starter right on the charcoal grate and dump when ready.

Looks like 1Buckie has a great idea for you..

I never had any issues from the sparks. I set my chimney starter right on the charcoal grate and dump when ready.

Looks like 1Buckie has a great idea for you..

+1. Then I dump into the weber or transfer to the Egg and dump. Never a problem.

Yes fresh lump definitely sparks. I was extremely nervous at first but I have gotten use to it and have never set my wooden deck on fire yet. I put my chimney on my Weber kettle to start it. I keep an eye on it still but I don't stand next to it the whole time like I did in the beginning.

Yes lump will snap, crackle, pop. Thers no stopping it, but what you could do is put a piece of metal screen, like from a screen door, over the top.

You could always use paraffin cubes. You know weber lighter cubes. I just started using them and they are worth the extra money. As easy as lighter fluid but none of the side effects. Although lighter fluid only hurts if you don't follow directions just don't use it in a kamado. I heard it absorbs it. Other than that burn it off for half an hour and your fine you cook right away and you will taste the fluid. I don't use it anymore as it takes a half hour to be ready which is annoying. It wastes fuel if you ask me. It works in a pinch but I prefer electric starters, then parrifin cubes, then chimneys, then last lighter fluid.

I also start mine on the charcoal grate. Usually.

I'm on concrete, but I don't think the sparks ever really hit the ground. You could do one of those rubber grill mat things, which I might do if I were running on a nice deck. From a cleanliness perspective too.

Back