• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Sam's Club Announcment

Absolutely no contests in California and only 1 in Texas. But there are 2 in Tennessee and 2 in Virginia. Kind of a slap in the face isn't it? Two biggest states in the continental U.S. an there is only one contest between them? Who's idea was that?

California contests were among the first to fill up. And there are thousands of KCBS members in California.

Pretty new to competition bbq. I understand that you have to be member of kcbs to enter the Sams tour. But is the registration just the other contest? And can you just sign up for one Sams event or all of them in that region?

We are grateful to have another contest in Michigan this year but why did they have to pick the same place they did 2 years ago?

What is everyone's perception of the potential " open enrolment"? To me it sounds like if they can't fill them up teams may have a chance to enter more than 1 local. Not sure I like that idea.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

No you can still only enter 1. If you don't get in the one you want you can sign up for another and wait list the one you really want. Then if somebody drops out you can switch over. But you can only cook one.

It wasnt well supported out there. Or the region does not have KCBS members.
Interesting thought, although as BigMista states; Thousands of members in So Cal., All previous have filled early and had waiting lists. Oh and by the way the one west coast event is in the heart of PNWBA territory. Here's an idea, maybe it time to let Sam's continue on their own. KCBS could just license the software and intellectual property. Sam's would then be free to do as they please, KCBS could operate as the members expect, and life goes on. Sam's has done some great things for BBQ awareness, but lets remember Sam's is doing this to build business and profits. We do this for the competition and camaraderie.

Assuming a team made it through the local qualifier, the Region 5 Final is the same weekend as Hedgesville WV. So, do you throw in for a shot at an automatic to the Jack, or do you go for the shot at $50K (assuming the recurrent rumors of another WV comp cropping up doesn't come true), and, as stated previously you make it thorugh the local qualifier. I'm not complaining; it's just an interesting question to ponder. Not to metion there's KCBS comps in Richmond and Shrewsbury PA the sme weekend as well.

The 6/8 Asheville, NC date is very disappointing. The only NC date pretty far in western NC, near TN where a Region 1 event is already occurring under a month earlier, but it's also the same day as an existing contest in Western NC. Poor planning in my opinion.

If it makes you feel any less dissapointed, notice that the region 1 final is pretty close to region 5, and just a couple hours from another region 5 event. Sorry for the long drive Florida teams, but at least there will be fewer of you having to make it this year:)

dmp

Interesting thought, although as BigMista states; Thousands of members in So Cal., All previous have filled early and had waiting lists. Oh and by the way the one west coast event is in the heart of PNWBA territory. Here's an idea, maybe it time to let Sam's continue on their own. KCBS could just license the software and intellectual property. Sam's would then be free to do as they please, KCBS could operate as the members expect, and life goes on. Sam's has done some great things for BBQ awareness, but lets remember Sam's is doing this to build business and profits. We do this for the competition and camaraderie.

Sam's Club competitions are not ran by KCBS only sanctioned by KCBS. They can do whatever they want.

Region 2 coming out of KC would be a tough few weeks...local Sam's Club, American Royal, Sam's Regional and then Sam's Final.

Bummer... no OHIO contest site for 2013... was hoping for a Cleveland or Columbus site... will probably opt out of the Sam's festivities in 2013... just cannot afford to make the long travel arrangements

Sam's Club competitions are not ran by KCBS only sanctioned by KCBS. They can do whatever they want.

I don't know that this is completely true. Walmart's marketing team is involved, but the series as run by MMA, who is KCBS' marketing team. Officially KCBS has no direct management of the events, but it happens on their retainer so to speak.

dmp

I don't know that this is completely true. Walmart's marketing team is involved, but the series as run by MMA, who is KCBS' marketing team. Officially KCBS has no direct management of the events, but it happens on their retainer so to speak.

dmp

Agreed, but doubt KCBS is telling Sam's Club who is putting up $500k where there comps are going to be to an extent other than denying their sanctioning.

It wasn't meant as a slam on Cali. I am speaking on what I know and saw. The KCBS banquet last year in SD was not well represented by the thousands of So Cal members then... and the SD contest took forever to sell out last year. Midwest locals are always the first locals to sell out. The series is not about where all the KCBS members are located. If that was the case why does texas keep getting contests and they are not a KCBS state with numbers? And Tucson is.dnot that far for So Cal teams. Other regions have to travel as well.

I think a study of Sams / Wal Mart's history makes some of this obvious to include the "why" of Texas.

Which may not be heavy in KCBS membership but filling the 4 locals over 2 years here was not an issue.

I loved the series last year and had a blast in Bentonville. But it amounts to 58 hours of pulling a trailer for 2 contests should someone in central FL progress through. That part is not fun.

Gonna be a busy April in these here parts of the country! :becky:

While at the Jack Daniel's contest this year, we had a visit from Troy Black who told us there would be no CA contest in 2013. His reason was due to the commercial fees he had to pay each year to get his RV into the state. For those of you who have been at contests, you know his RV is wrapped with all the sponsors logos from front ot back. He insisted, the RV was a private coach but the state truck inspection personnel thought otherwise and made him pay fees.

Benny

Sounds like California. They never met a tax they didn't like. The Tucson Sam's is 45 min away from us. Just pure luck. Great to have it two years in a row, but even the year before it was just up in Phoenix. We expect a bunch of So Cal teams making the 8 hr drive.

Back