Recouping costs

bradgreer

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I was just wondering how many of the Brethren do things like vending etc... to help offset some of the competition costs?
I have heard of things like vending, selling leftovers, and getting sponsorship to help with the cost. What does everyone think?

Thanks,

Tried the catering deal to fund the comp obsession. The insurance, health department, work on top of work didn't pay enough for us. Our whole life turned into a job to be able to compete. We just cut back on the number of comps to fit our budget. Have been offered a couple of sponsorships, but decided to stay independent based on restrictions. It's an expensive hobby that is worth staying on our own for now.

One very creative person posted on the brethren just the other day, that he seeks meat sponsors for individual competitions. They buy the meat, and he gives them all of the left over meat from the comp.

Selling the leftovers to friends seems to be the easiest. We did it this year for the first time and will continue with a few tweaks. Some teams do things a little different but the basic concept is similar.

Please don't take this as a smart a$$ remark, but I've found that the better you cook the easier it's become at recovering costs.

We look at it as a hobby or night out on the town though.:wink:

I was just wondering how many of the Brethren do things like vending etc... to help offset some of the competition costs?
I have heard of things like vending, selling leftovers, and getting sponsorship to help with the cost. What does everyone think?

Thanks,

1. If recouping costs is part of your competition budget...don't compete. Always plan on losing money in bbq.
2. Only professionally cater with legal protection and inspection. Don't print up cards as a caterer and hand them out to strangers.
3. Help local charity fundraising. Talk with your favorite local charity about having a fundraiser where you split the profit with them 50/50. Scout troops, athletic organizations, etc. Many places this is ok for you to do...check local laws
4. Sponsored?? Talk to family and freinds, most businesses want trophies and calls.
5. Vending is good, but you gotta buy the equipment to do it
6. Leftovers - only sell to friends and family. Or Trade for sponsor money or products.

You most likely will not recoup your costs at too many contests unless you G.C. or R.G.C. but sponsors can help out with the costs. A local meat market or grocery store giving you a discount or even provide 1 or more cuts of meat for a contest in exchange for flying a banner or wearing their t-shirt. This can work also for any type of business really, advertising in exchange for a cash donation to your team.
In order to have enough product to sell to friends you have to cook more which to me is more work you don't need to do at a comp. I think you are better off concentrating on the comp.process and focus on the quality of your comp products. The focus shouldn't be on how you are going to be paying for everything,

Learn what another great competitor does, duplicate that, and you'll recoup more money.

Another idea. If it's really a goal to recoup money, you need to be selective on what contests you do. Up until this year, I looked at the proximity of the contest, consistency of past top 10's of that contest (try to get an idea of how consistent the judging is) and prize money. Total purse of $10,000 or greater can help you recoup your costs better than a $5,000 contest.. a low payout contest, you damn near have to win it to get money back.

If you have a really strong category or two, you're liable to go home with $400-$500 in a $10,000+ contest.

I had been really selective on what contests I do, but this year I wanted to do more contests, and closer to home (so as to not have to take off as much work) which caused me to do contests I might not have done.. therefore, I've finished the year in the red.

Last edited:
Back