• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Chicken Grill Marks?

Greg60525

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
For comp chicken is it preferable to have grill/char marks on the chicken or is it better to have a more uniform evenly sauced look? That brings me to another question........how important is it to use sauce......can you present it dry?

Personally, I think chicken looks better with grill marks or some type of uneven charring and I do like sauce.

Thanks,

From an aesthetic point of view I think there are 2 ways to approach charring.

If you're going for grill marks, make sure each piece in the box has even marks in the same direction. This is tough to do because if you're finishing chicken over high heat you usually have to flip it regularly to keep it from burning.

If you're going for a little overall charring, just keep in mind a little goes a long way.

As for the sauce, if it is a KCBS comp you are not required to sauce but I don't know of anyone consistently hitting with a dry presentation.

Why do you think chicken scores better with sauce? From a taste texture standpoint I like sauce on ribs but not on chicken. That said all the winning boxes I have seen on here have sauce on them. In the judging class I took the chicken was very good and it did not have any sauce.

I have done both dry and sauced chicken. I have hit with both, overall I think the sauced gets much better scores. You are not serving chicken, you are serving candy.

Welcome Greg.

I'd try and stay away from grill marks. It's too hard to try and get them all the same withthe marks and then with the actual coloring of the rest of the piece of chicken.

As for sauce. judges love it. The key thig to figure out is how much they love. As I sure wouldn't drown it in sauce either... Sauce should go along with your piece of meat and not overwelm it...

Back