It's Sunday - Time to Thai one on! (w/ Pr0n)

ShadowDriver

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Today's been a rough day.

I posted elsewhere about my beloved Carolina Panthers (aka "Cardiac Cats") and their struggle against the New Orleans Saints driving me to drink.

This is a Cider Joe - Hard Cider w/ Raspberry Lambic - You should try one sometime.

2016-10-16%2014.16.42_zpscfxsaxhs.jpg

While unpacking a box, I discovered some of the green, red, and Panang curry paste(s) I'd bought in Udon Thani, Thailand... and decided to whip up a new wings sauce!

Here are the major ingredients - Ground Thai Chilies (w/ garlic), Coconut Milk, Thai Red Curry Paste, Lime Juice.

2016-10-16%2014.55.47_zpsgtsrq1es.jpg

Here's a close-up of the "hard-to-get stuff"

2016-10-16%2014.55.59_zpsal12rm6z.jpg

In a skillet over medium-low heat, I warmed the curry paste, stirring and spreading it out until the kitchen was filled with the aroma... careful to not let it burn. I added (slowly) a whole can of coconut milk... continuing to stir.

2016-10-16%2015.19.30_zpsrugaybt6.jpg

To this, I added about 5 Tbsp of lime juice, 1 Tbsp of Thai Fish Sauce, and 2.5 tsp of ground Thai chilies... completely to taste - reducing slightly. This really should cover about 2 batches of wings... so I put half of the sauce in a Pyrex and added to the fridge.

Unfortunately, the sauce tasted VERY SALTY... and I was worried about it. Momma I gnashed teeth and kicked around ideas to fix it... nothing came.

Decided to NOT season the chicken wings for the Thai Curry sauce, but also cook some (Walkerswood Hot) Jamaican Jerk to provide a citrusy and light balance to the Thai.

You can also see that I added a lightly salt & pepper seasoned leg for the baby... and put some apple over the coals.

2016-10-16%2018.15.07_zpsnbdtohva.jpg

The Jerk came out very nice... spicy and crispy. I tossed the wings in the Thai sauce and heated everything through for 3-5 minutes... turning the bird several times before service. The Thai wings are topped with chopped mint and cilantro (coriander for you Brits).

Both flavors of wings really benefited from a good squeeze of lime over top.

2016-10-16%2018.44.44_zpsf6ywwdgt.jpg

Hope this provides some ideas for folks.

Well that looks and sounds tasty, lime squeezed on Chicken hey?

Fun stuff! Thai and Indian can kind of blur together.... Cilantro, ginger, curry paste, hot peppers.

Thanks for sharing your cook Marc, looks really tasty!

I've spent some time in Thailand, great folks and really friendly. You do have to watch what you eat there though, a couple of times I was looking for a fire extinguisher!

NAILED IT!!!!

Both of those are at the very top of my favorite flavor lists! I'd take your arm smooth off to get at some of those!!

Cheers!

Forgot to mention that when we tossed the chicken in the Thai Red Curry Sauce, the saltiness all but disappeared.

With the ground Thai chilies, it's amazing how just a tsp will go a long way.

I'm a HUGE fan of spicy food... and I often have to emphasize that fact at Indian and Thai restaurants.

Marty - It really is interesting how the basics for much of the cuisine in Asia start the same... spices and aromatics into a paste... with coriander/cilantro and mint either in or on the dish.

Those look amazing! Love those flavors.

And here's hoping you post your Panang curry usage. I can't find those pastes anywhere, and I've not attempted to make one myself.

Thanks for sharing.

Back