Secret ingredient for soups/stews/chili

Cold front coming boys and girls. Time for soups/stews and chili

This time of year we do Soup/stew Sundays at our house.

I am always making chicken or beef stock out of bones/carcasses from previous cooks. So much better than store bought stocks.

Last week we had chicken and white bean chili. Yesterday we had chicken and dumplings.

There is a place in downtown Abliene Tx, The Beehive. They make the best damn cabbage soup I have ever tasted. It was as far as I could tell just broth and cabbage and was just an amazing bowl of soup. I wonder if that was their secret.

Just found a place up here in Cincinnati that has incredible chili. Going there for lunch today and will over time try to worm the secret out of him.

Just found a place up here in Cincinnati that has incredible chili. Going there for lunch today and will over time try to worm the secret out of him.

If it's a "Skyline" style of chili, they use cinnamon & chocolate/cocoa.
I tried it once...

If it's a "Skyline" style of chili, they use cinnamon & chocolate/cocoa.
I tried it once...

No, it's a Texas chili. All shredded meat. Cincinnati chili is plentiful and delicious, too, but most restaurant 'traditional' chili around here is food service, not homemade. This guy builds layer after layer of flavor into his chili. Fantastic stuff.

I am always making chicken or beef stock out of bones/carcasses from previous cooks. So much better than store bought stocks.

We call that FLAVOR!
And in the Bayou, its Bacon grease that starts the whole thing -
gumbos, etouffees, grillades....
"Try it, you'll Like it!"

I'm ready for soup, stew, chili, gumbo season. Not the weather, just the eats. :)

I'm ready for soup, stew, chili, gumbo season. Not the weather, just the eats. :)

Today was it for a few days. Thursday low predicted 12, then Saturday high of 67. Winter solstice 21st then longer light. Yippee

Back