Vegetable Oil~The Idiot's Oil

buccaneer

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I was at a big dinner party the other day and before I got too drunk I had a bit of a shock when I realized what I thought was common knowledge wasn't known by half the people there.
We were talking about cooking oils.
I remember we had some good long threads here about Olive Oils once, so I thought I would post this.
There are many many good cooking oils out there.
Sunflower Safflower, Olive, sesame, walnut, grapeseed, Rice Bran and so on.
Personally I won't use canola, but that is a different story to this.
The one huge mistake you can make is to choose a product labelled "Vegetable Oil"
It is a nasty highly refined industrial mess that IS going to have negative long term impacts on you, so just choose corn oil or some other of the great oils.
:yo:

I use cold pressed Extra Virgin olive oil and cold pressed avocado oil for salads and some low temperature cooking. I remember the smoke point of EVOO as 345°F but recently I read it as 375°F. Cold pressed avocado oil is the same. For frying at higher temperatures I use grapeseed, sesame and at one time I did use rice bran. High temp frying with solids are butter, coconut oil and home-rendered lard from the whole legs and shoulders I smoke.

I'm glad the tide has turned back in a more friendly way to traditional solid fats, in particular nutritious solid fats like lard and coconut oil. Latest news I've heard is lard in moderation helps convert our low density lipids (bad cholesterol) to high density lipids (good cholesterol)….. though I wouldn't choose to buy lard full of preservatives (like that sold in grocery stores).

Ive always heard virgin olive oil is for eating, regular olive oil is for heating (cooking). Am i totally wrong?

Speaking of fat…. I was at the first Mushroom festival today in a small town around the corner from me. Chef Roger Dufau (who used to have a restaurant called Panache in Hobart, Tasmania) said that we cut back fat too much (read low-processed, healthy fats) in the last several decades and now we're paying for it with brains that don't work properly. Just occurred to me to wonder if the steep increase in Alzheimer's disease is the result of cutting back healthy fats too far. Anybody else wondering or know if there's a correlation?

Ninja, I try to stay away from refined fats because the process uses such high temperatures. I think of processed food as poison in my body regardless of what government or medical department says it's okay. I try to eat as little processed food as possible so I do not buy regular olive oil, the kind generally recommended for cooking.

Coconut oil here.

It cooks and tastes soooooo much better.

Ninja, I try to stay away from refined fats because the process uses such high temperatures. I think of processed food as poison in my body regardless of what government or medical department says it's okay. I try to eat as little processed food as possible so I do not buy regular olive oil, the kind generally recommended for cooking.

Ah, i see (the Internet can be so informative).

So i should look for cold pressed virgin oil for less refinement?

Okay, other than the animal fats, I tend to use grapeseed oil and safflower oil that is cold expeller pressed. I do have canola oil, that is also cold expeller pressed (and not from Canada, oddly enough).

Ive always heard virgin olive oil is for eating, regular olive oil is for heating (cooking). Am i totally wrong?

If you buy fresh pressed EVOO then it is so high in antioxidents you can cook with it at a pretty high temp.

Processed olive oil (light) can be used at high temps, higher than canola for smoke point.

I agree completely that limiting any processed oil, no matter which type, is a boon to your health and longevity.

Ah, i see (the Internet can be so informative).

So i should look for cold pressed virgin oil for less refinement?
Virgin is a marketing term for olive oil.

I look for cold expeller pressed or cold mechanically separated oils. My current olive oil is free run Spanish olive oil. But, I will need to buy some more soon, and may just get Extra Virgin, but, from a reliable seller.

Virgin is a marketing term for olive oil.

I look for cold expeller pressed or cold mechanically separated oils. My current olive oil is free run Spanish olive oil. But, I will need to buy some more soon, and may just get Extra Virgin, but, from a reliable seller.

Not here.
Australia has the highest and strictest regulation and controls and make a superior standard of olive oil than anywhere else in the world.
We are the premium supplier to top end establishments internationally.
Look for a "Bottled in Australia from Australian ingredients and be confident.

What I meant Buccs, is that the use of the word 'Virgin' on oil is generally only seen on olive oil. In fact, I can't think of ever seeing the word used on any oil but olive oil. Which sort of speaks to the value that Italians and Spanish folks have put on the oil, that they have three different extractions.

We don't see much Aussie olive oil here, I will keep an eye peeled. Generally, I buy direct from the producers, and several of us make the buys in bulk, hence a 4 to 5 liter purchase. You have a brand or two you recommend?

What I meant Buccs, is that the use of the word 'Virgin' on oil is generally only seen on olive oil. In fact, I can't think of ever seeing the word used on any oil but olive oil. Which sort of speaks to the value that Italians and Spanish folks have put on the oil, that they have three different extractions.

We don't see much Aussie olive oil here, I will keep an eye peeled. Generally, I buy direct from the producers, and several of us make the buys in bulk, hence a 4 to 5 liter purchase. You have a brand or two you recommend?

Not expensive but very high grade and a big International mob ;Cobram Estate
http://cobramestate.com.au/articles/4
The European Olive Council standard does not meet the Australian standard, something they are furious about, but our testing found some of the most prestigious brands from Spain and Italy and Greece to contain high percentages of impurities and other oils, even pumice oil which is detrimental to your health.
To make matters worse, that one was a company owned by a council member.
You have to laugh.

I do use canola oil, but it's mostly for fries for a treat for the boys, and only if I don't have enough tallow.
Everything else it's either peanut, coconut, olive, butter, lard, or of course that delicious tallow.

Another point. If you can find a grower and get fresh EVOO then that will be better , so long as you can trust no sneaky practices are going on.
We buy a few litres at a time because of the freshness factor.

Wait....have I just hijacked my own thread?!?!:doh:

Every once and awhile you learn something that impacts you for the rest of your days. Ive been reading about oil most the night. Im not a super health freak and dont usually panic over harmful things because generally speaking everything is harmful. I will definitely be buying better oil now. I dont use much anyways (a small bottle can last several months) so i can afford it. Its hard to eat right due to the poor selection of affordable choices at the grocery store but this seems like an easy one.

Canola oil? I never even thought about what it was until today.

Back