WSM in Cold Weather?

Wesman61

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I've decided I am just not happy with my pellet smoker anymore. I don't plan on getting rid of it but I want a regular smoker and The WSM seems like the one to beat. Here in Idaho it can be as low as 25 degrees in the day time in winter months. Can a WSM handle cold weather alright? BTW a ceramic smoker is out of my budget.

Not a problem, it just takes a bit more to get up to smoking temps.

328921_10151258767035467_1224348728_o-1.jpg

the BBQ Guru sells blankets made specifically for both the 18 and 22 WSM. but a welding blanket wrapped around the cooker should provide the same. I have not used one personally yet and have cooked all through winter... its more the wind than the cold

I do overnight cooks in January and Feburary without using any insulating blankets. If you can get 12 hours + off a load of charcoal in -20 weather here in Canada, it should be OK for you.

I use mine all winter here in NY. I built a portable/adjustable wind screen out of 4 panels from an dogs exercise pen and reflectix. Works great. Keeps the cold and wind out. It is also tall enough to set a piece of plywood across the top on really bad days to really hold the heat in.

The WSM will work without that, however the difference in performance is noticeable. Uses less fuel, heats up faster, etc when using the screen. I use it some in the summer too if the wind is blowing.

Good luck, j

Yeah wind screws more with temperature than cold. Obviously cold does make it chew through charcoal faster, but still works great.

Cold will have a minimal effect on a WSM. Cold PLUS wind will have a larger effect, but still entirely manageable. Personally, I do not prefer insulation blankets of any kind. Some sort of minor wind screen or mere protection from the winf should suffice.

for what it is worth, the 22 seems to be more effected by wind consitions than the 18.

Thanks everyone. I see myself getting one soon. I don't need another grill but that's never stopped me before.

I live about 40 miles away from you. I use a UDS in winter no problem.

Smoking all year round in Boise on my WSM. Fuel use rises as temps drop but the bbq tastes the same. In winter I use a smoking jacket from BBQ Guru to help maintain temps...

I have a Hot Water Heater blanket for mine, but haven't had a chance to use it yet.

I have a Hot Water Heater blanket for mine, but haven't had a chance to use it yet.

I'm concerned about that scenario there K-Train. If it's fiberglass lined, It's way too close to your food. Fiber GLASS is dangerous anywhere close to food due to the dust.

From one Brethren to another, consider another solution. :grin:

I smoked all year last year and I live near Chicago. Like others have mentioned, wind is more of an issue than the cold. I plan to build an enclosure around mine out of plywood to help keel the temps more stable. The thing is a beast though.

I think the vote is in, but I will pile on. My first cook was an overnighter in 5* MN January. Ran 265 all night long.

I'm concerned about that scenario there K-Train. If it's fiberglass lined, It's way too close to your food. Fiber GLASS is dangerous anywhere close to food due to the dust.

From one Brethren to another, consider another solution. :grin:

Never thought of that. I'll have to look to see if it is. Thanks.

Back