Pork ribs on a New Braunfels Silver Smoker

grillsmoke

Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.
Reaction score
After a less than desirable attempt to cook a full brisket on my Weber kettle grill, I decided to get an offset smoker. I found a used NB Silver Smoker on craigslist for $20 and couldn't pass it up. It was in good shape, but I still dismantled the whole thing, repainted it, put all new stainless bolts on it, and did the mods I could find online (baffle, rolled flashing in the smokestack, RTV sealant on the doors). I bolted some 1 inch angle inside the cook chamber where the cooking grates sit so I can slide them side to side. I also bolted some 1 inch angle inside the cook chamber where the leg bolts come through. I made tuning plates from 1/4 inch steel, 2 1/2 inches wide, and they sit on the angle iron. I can slide the plates close to each other or space them out, and it seems to work fairly well. I also found some old frying baskets that I use as charcoal baskets.

After doing some test firing to get the plates somewhat tuned, I bought some pork ribs and cooked them this afternoon. I read about the 3-2-1 method and tried it out. I prepped them with a dry rub and put them on the cooker. I spritzed them with apple juice every half hour, and rotated them at the same time (it was three racks). After three hours, I wrapped them in foil, and again rotated them every half hour for another two hours. Then, I unwrapped them, sauced them, and cooked them for another 30 minutes (so more like 3-2-.5). They turned out awesome. I've done a fairly good job on ribs before, but these are the best by far.

I have to give credit to the others who contributed to the forums and offered suggestions. It is very helpful to me, as I am still learning how to operate my new cooker. Thanks.

Sounds like a great success. Way to go!

Back