Proper lump usage

twatsonr1

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hey got a question for you lump guys. Do you load the lump by hand, or do you just dump straight out of the bag?? I have a gravity feed, and have dumped out of the bag. However I have had problems with slow heating of the smoker, and slow recovery. Is that normal??

And has anyone used black diamond hardwood lump?? Looks expensive but promising. I haven't been able to find too many reviews on it. Thanks!!

I use lump for a good initial coal bed in my stick burner and I just dump it in the basket. I use a chimney of briqs to get the lump started. It works very well.

I use mostly lump in my kettle along with some briqs to start it. This works well also.

I always use Ryal Oak, as it has always given me a good fire, good heat, long lasting and very little ash.

Good luck with yours, whatever works for you.

I just dump straight from the bag into my Priimo kamado. The dust that you normally get just drops through the bottom grate and comes out with the ash. I have no experience with a gravity feed, so more of a question here. Is it possible the dust from the bag collects at the bottom and causes vent issues? Royal Oak has been good for me. Vision lump is terrible.

Hey got a question for you lump guys. Do you load the lump by hand, or do you just dump straight out of the bag?? I have a gravity feed, and have dumped out of the bag. However I have had problems with slow heating of the smoker, and slow recovery. Is that normal??

And has anyone used black diamond hardwood lump?? Looks expensive but promising. I haven't been able to find too many reviews on it. Thanks!!

I tried it once. http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=229854

I was not impressed with the product for the price I paid for it. It's basically consistently sized lump charcoal. For me, is was not worth the premium.

Hmmm might we worth a try on the black diamond, still has to be cheaper than big green egg lump.

Still wondering if I need to pack this stuff in, rather than just dumping it in

Going to try Black Diamond Charwood

I'll let you know on the Black Diamond Charwood. Just ordered three 1.18 cu. ft. boxes from Ace Hardware online at $14.99 a box- pickup at local store. Price is good thru the end of September.

If it's uniform, heartwood/center cut without bark and crap it should work well. Seems that it is way more carbonized with less raw wood so that should be a good thing. It appears it will be extremely light compared to other charcoals since it's like 94% carbonized.

I expect it may burn a lot more consistently in my Humphrey's than the Cowboy with it's huge variations in size, composition and consistency.

Will see this weekend and report back.

I simply dump Red Oak Lump into my gravity fed Stumps Baby XL and use a Strike-a-Fire to light it up. I always plan on a solid hour to get the smoker up to cook temperature and can't say ever had an issue with recovery time.

Green Egg charcoal is made by Royal Oak. RO makes a number of products that are private labeled for other sellers.

I've just noticed that kingsford professional takes 45 minutes to get my pit to 225, and lump took an hour and a half to get to the same temperature, and I'd love to use lump again. I just don't have the patience to wait for that. Anybody else have these issues??

I use a chimney to fire my kamado. I dump from the bag sometimes having to fiddle by hand if it bridges in the chimney. I put the chimney in a 5 gallon bucket, sure help reduce the mess of black dust.

If this is for your Deep South, don't pack anything in. Just dump it in the chute. What size fan are you running? I could see slow heating and recovery if you're using a 10cfm fan. A 25cfm fan should get things up to temp (or back to temp) very quickly.

I can't speak at all to the gravity feed but I have had problems with some bags of lump if I just dump from the bag - too much dust and small pieces and I end up with a pile of lump that won't let any air flow through it. I've got a ceramic cooker - for long cooks I'll pick out large pieces of lump and arrange it in the cooker to make sure I get a good, long burn. For shorter cooks I just grab a bunch of lump out of the bag with two hands and let the dust fall back into the bag.

I usually cook with Wicked Good lump. Handfuls are removed from the bag and placed in an old pan from a deep-fat fryer, which is full of quarter-inch holes. Mild shaking will allow all the dust and fines to fall free of the pan, the contents of which are then emptied into the BGE and arranged a bit, if needed.

If this is for your Deep South, don't pack anything in. Just dump it in the chute. What size fan are you running? I could see slow heating and recovery if you're using a 10cfm fan. A 25cfm fan should get things up to temp (or back to temp) very quickly.

Yes sir, it is for my Deep South. And yeah I'm using a 10cfm fan, so a 25 would get her up to temp quicker??

I'll let you know on the Black Diamond Charwood. Just ordered three 1.18 cu. ft. boxes from Ace Hardware online at $14.99 a box- pickup at local store. Price is good thru the end of September.

If it's uniform, heartwood/center cut without bark and crap it should work well. Seems that it is way more carbonized with less raw wood so that should be a good thing. It appears it will be extremely light compared to other charcoals since it's like 94% carbonized.

I expect it may burn a lot more consistently in my Humphrey's than the Cowboy with it's huge variations in size, composition and consistency.

Will see this weekend and report back.

OK. I did a brisket with the Black Diamond. It worked fairly well. I suspect it would work well in a Kamodo style cooker. I ran a load in my Pint for 8:45 at 250-275. This AM I had about half left to reuse. Seems to run a little smoky. Sizing wasn't as consistent as I've read.

I'll make a separate review post.

Back