"lighter Fluid" Ribs

wrenfro12

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Over the weekend I competed at the Atlanta BBQ Festival. My Ribs tanked with 2 judges. the other 4 judges gave me 8 and 9's. I did get a comment card from the judge that gave me a 5 in taste. The comment was "Lighter Fluid".

Now I don't use lighter fluid and don't even own lighter fluid so I know that is not what he/she tasted. The question is is there a spice or a combination of spices that he did not like and the closest thing they came up with is lighter fluid? I would really like to avoid having that happen again.

Just for background.....I tried something new this weekend. I removed most of the brown sugar from my rub. When I wrapped the ribs I did add some brown sugar to the top of the ribs and when they came out of the foil they were finished with a sweet sauce.

As a side note.....Moe Cason was at this event and set up in a 10 x 15 backyard size spot. I think he was cooking on loaner equipment as he flew in just for this event. He was a great neighbor and took pictures with everyone that walked up and wanted to meet him. He also went home with a RGC.

Additionally, some green fruit woods can give that "chemical" taste, and sometimes if you use wood with the bark on and some mold has formed between the wood and the bark.

As a judge I would never tell the cook team that I tasted "lighter fluid", but a "chemical" taste is an accurate description. Most cooks just think that judges are idiots when they mention lighter fluid when they don't use it.

My guess would be 'bad smoke' or some burnt rub. Some spices will get pretty nasty when they burn. It could have been on the edges of a couple of bones and the other judges didn't get the same bite. Taking the brown sugar out of the rub may have removed some protection from the spices and caused them to scorch. If you still have the leftovers, taste any area that has some char.

Thanks for the feedback.

I cook on a fleet UDS. I used Kingsford with hickory chunks mixed in. Looks like it's time to give my drums a good cleaning before Pigs and Peaches this weekend.

I don't think you did anything wrong. I'm pretty convinced there is at least one jackwagon judge in the Atlanta area that gives that score and comment out on every single contest they judge.

It's ridiculous what you see/hear about on some comments and scores. This 7-7-7 deal on a table where you might get mostly 9's and a few 8's, but that is the only judge giving you anything below an 8....I call that a pre-disposed judge and they have no business judging or even being at a BBQ contest. Their score tells me one thing-they'd rather be doing something else.

There is no doubt that most of the judges are great and do a very honest job. But this lighter fluid comment that goes around, especially in the Atlanta/north GA area of KCBS contests is BS.

I haven't gotten the lighter fluid comment yet, but have gotten the "tastes chemically" before. Happens sometimes. Dave is spot on for what the culprits could be.

Its more than likely the Kingsford briquettes. They need to heat up a while before the binders finish off gassing. Some cheaper lump charcoals can do it as well. If you need to add fuel to you fire try to do it when everything is wrapped.

We got the "lighter fluid" comment at our very first contest in Cornelia in 2013 on ribs. I've heard that sometimes when you use different fruit juices as a spritz or in a wrap that they can give you that off flavor as well (not sure if that's true, but we had used a fruit juice as a spritz for that event). It sounds more likely that your smoker needs a good cleaning :).

You might want to move away from the kingsford blue bag to something natural like Stubbs or lump charcoal. All of the chemicals in that blue bag could leave a definite chemical taste.

My guess would be 'bad smoke'

This. I helped a friend get into smoking by setting him up with a uds. He used it 3 or 4 times and complained of the lighter fluid taste. First, he used kingsford instead of my recommendation (Stubbs/royal oak lump), he also put his food on way to early, the drum wasn't close to thin blue and was billowing white smoke. I overhauled his start up procedure and it fixed the problem.

It wasnt the charcoal. It was the smoke. If you can see the smoke it is probably not good to have food on there.

You might want to move away from the kingsford blue bag to something natural like Stubbs or lump charcoal. All of the chemicals in that blue bag could leave a definite chemical taste.

I call BS, this article is reproduced from the WSM website:

[FONT=Arial,Verdana,Helvetica,sans-serif]Briquettes frequently contain other ingredients in addition to charcoal to improve the performance characteristics of the product. As a result, they leave behind a considerable amount of ash, which is of concern in cookers that can't accommodate ash build-up. (Fortunately, the WSM is not one of these.)[/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Verdana,Helvetica,sans-serif]It's the "other ingredients" part of briquettes that get some folks worked up. "Petroleum by-products", "toxic waste", or "fillers", they say. Well, let's take a closer—and more rational—look at the facts.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Verdana,Helvetica,sans-serif]The only required "other ingredient" in a briquette is a binder, usually a starch of some sort that holds the crushed charcoal together when it's compressed into those little pillow shapes. The problem is that this basic briquette may not light very easily, or burn very hot, or burn very long. So, manufacturers add more "other ingredients" to improve the performance characteristics of their products.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Verdana,Helvetica,sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Verdana,Helvetica,sans-serif]Here is the official ingredient list for Kingsford Charcoal Briquets from a company press release, including the purpose of each ingredient in parentheses. The explanation after each ingredient is my own.[/FONT]

• [FONT=Arial,Verdana,Helvetica,sans-serif]Wood char (Heat source)
    This is simply the wood by-products I mentioned above, burned down into charcoal—almost pure carbon. In the case of Kingsford, they use woods like fir, cedar, and alder that are local to the regions in which they operate—Burnside and Summer Shade, Kentucky; Glen, Mississippi; Belle, Missouri; Springfield, Oregon; and Beryl and Parsons, West Virginia.
    [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial,Verdana,Helvetica,sans-serif]Mineral char (Heat source)
    This is a geologically young form of coal with a soft, brown texture. It helps Kingsford burn hotter and longer than a plain charcoal briquette. As with the wood, Kingsford heats this material in an oxygen-controlled environment, eliminating water, nitrogen, and other elements, leaving behind—almost pure carbon.
    [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial,Verdana,Helvetica,sans-serif]Mineral carbon (Heat source)
    This is anthracite coal, the old, hard, black stuff once commonly used for home heating. It helps Kingsford burn hotter and longer than a plain charcoal briquette. It's already 86-98% pure carbon, but once again, Kingsford processes it in an oxygen-controlled environment, leaving behind—almost pure carbon.

What exactly is coal, you ask? "Nasty stuff," some folks say. Well, coal is a fossil fuel, most of which was formed more than 300 million years ago. To make a really, really long story short: Plants and trees died, sank to the bottom of swampy areas, accumulated into many layers, then geologic processes covered the stuff with sand, clay, and rock, and the combination of heat and pressure converted it into what we call coal.

So, coal is really old plant material that can be processed into almost pure carbon. Charcoal is wood that is burned down into almost pure carbon. Not much difference, in my book. End of coal lesson.
    [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial,Verdana,Helvetica,sans-serif]Limestone (Uniform visual ashing)
    Limestone creates the pretty, white coating of ash you see after lighting the briquettes. Limestone is a sedimentary rock consisting of calcium carbonate—also found in egg shells, antacids, and calcium dietary supplements.
    [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial,Verdana,Helvetica,sans-serif]Starch (Binder)
    As mentioned above, starch is used to hold briquettes together, and is found in corn, wheat, potatoes, and rice.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial,Verdana,Helvetica,sans-serif]Borax (Press release)
    Borax is used in small amounts to help briquettes release from the molds. But isn't Borax a detergent? Well, yes, it is, but it's actually a naturally-occurring mineral that is non-toxic in the quantities we're talking about in a briquette. It consists of sodium, boron, oxygen, and water. You already know what oxygen and water are. Sodium is a common element found in lots of stuff we eat, including salt. Boron is an element that is necessary in small quantities for plant growth. Borax is commonly used in cosmetics and medicines.
    [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial,Verdana,Helvetica,sans-serif]Sodium nitrate (Ignition aid)
    This is the same stuff used to cure meat. According to Robert L. Wolke, professor emeritus of chemistry at the University of Pittsburgh, sodium nitrate gives off oxygen when heated, helping the briquettes to light faster.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial,Verdana,Helvetica,sans-serif]Sawdust (Ignition aid)
    Sawdust burns quickly, helping the briquettes to light faster.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Verdana,Helvetica,sans-serif]Did you notice there was no mention of "petroleum by-products" or "toxic waste"? What about "fillers"? Looks like every ingredient is there for a purpose—to improve the performance of the product.

My message to you is this: Don't let people scare you away from briquettes, Kingsford or any other brand. They're a perfectly good product to use for making great barbecue![/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Verdana,Helvetica,sans-serif]Don't believe the BS, trust the facts and create a clean fire![/FONT]

I agree with everyone. The top reason meat tastes chemically or like lighter fluid are:
Over smoked
Bad wood/green wood
Burning grease from dripping in smoker or water pan going dry
You cooked something greasy prior (lots of meat, chicken wings, etc)
or Kingsford or other inexpensive charcoal. If it stinks when it is burning, it will add that stink/flavor to your food. You likely added charcoal prior to putting your ribs on, right? Likely didn't have time to clean out.

Eggspert

Because everything a big company like Kingsford releases to the press must be true! I trust my nose! I know a lot of great teams use Kingsford, but to me it smells bad when it burns. That smell is going to impart a flavor into your meat.

Eggspert

[FONT=Arial,Verdana,Helvetica,sans-serif]Briquettes frequently contain other ingredients in addition to charcoal to improve the performance characteristics of the product. As a result, they leave behind a considerable amount of ash, which is of concern in cookers that can't accommodate ash build-up. (Fortunately, the WSM is not one of these.)[/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Verdana,Helvetica,sans-serif]It's the "other ingredients" part of briquettes that get some folks worked up. "Petroleum by-products", "toxic waste", or "fillers", they say. Well, let's take a closer—and more rational—look at the facts.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Verdana,Helvetica,sans-serif]The only required "other ingredient" in a briquette is a binder, usually a starch of some sort that holds the crushed charcoal together when it's compressed into those little pillow shapes. The problem is that this basic briquette may not light very easily, or burn very hot, or burn very long. So, manufacturers add more "other ingredients" to improve the performance characteristics of their products.[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Verdana,Helvetica,sans-serif]Here is the official ingredient list for Kingsford Charcoal Briquets from a company press release, including the purpose of each ingredient in parentheses. The explanation after each ingredient is my own.[/FONT]

This is simply the wood by-products I mentioned above, burned down into charcoal—almost pure carbon. In the case of Kingsford, they use woods like fir, cedar, and alder that are local to the regions in which they operate—Burnside and Summer Shade, Kentucky; Glen, Mississippi; Belle, Missouri; Springfield, Oregon; and Beryl and Parsons, West Virginia.
    [/FONT]
    This is a geologically young form of coal with a soft, brown texture. It helps Kingsford burn hotter and longer than a plain charcoal briquette. As with the wood, Kingsford heats this material in an oxygen-controlled environment, eliminating water, nitrogen, and other elements, leaving behind—almost pure carbon.
    [/FONT]
    This is anthracite coal, the old, hard, black stuff once commonly used for home heating. It helps Kingsford burn hotter and longer than a plain charcoal briquette. It's already 86-98% pure carbon, but once again, Kingsford processes it in an oxygen-controlled environment, leaving behind—almost pure carbon.

What exactly is coal, you ask? "Nasty stuff," some folks say. Well, coal is a fossil fuel, most of which was formed more than 300 million years ago. To make a really, really long story short: Plants and trees died, sank to the bottom of swampy areas, accumulated into many layers, then geologic processes covered the stuff with sand, clay, and rock, and the combination of heat and pressure converted it into what we call coal.

So, coal is really old plant material that can be processed into almost pure carbon. Charcoal is wood that is burned down into almost pure carbon. Not much difference, in my book. End of coal lesson.
    [/FONT]
    Limestone creates the pretty, white coating of ash you see after lighting the briquettes. Limestone is a sedimentary rock consisting of calcium carbonate—also found in egg shells, antacids, and calcium dietary supplements.
    [/FONT]
    As mentioned above, starch is used to hold briquettes together, and is found in corn, wheat, potatoes, and rice.[/FONT]
    Borax is used in small amounts to help briquettes release from the molds. But isn't Borax a detergent? Well, yes, it is, but it's actually a naturally-occurring mineral that is non-toxic in the quantities we're talking about in a briquette. It consists of sodium, boron, oxygen, and water. You already know what oxygen and water are. Sodium is a common element found in lots of stuff we eat, including salt. Boron is an element that is necessary in small quantities for plant growth. Borax is commonly used in cosmetics and medicines.
    [/FONT]
    This is the same stuff used to cure meat. According to Robert L. Wolke, professor emeritus of chemistry at the University of Pittsburgh, sodium nitrate gives off oxygen when heated, helping the briquettes to light faster.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Verdana,Helvetica,sans-serif]Did you notice there was no mention of "petroleum by-products" or "toxic waste"? What about "fillers"? Looks like every ingredient is there for a purpose—to improve the performance of the product.

My message to you is this: Don't let people scare you away from briquettes, Kingsford or any other brand. They're a perfectly good product to use for making great barbecue![/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Verdana,Helvetica,sans-serif]Don't believe the BS, trust the facts and create a clean fire![/FONT]

I'll be happy to taste your ribs this weekend for "lighter fluid!" I'd give the cookers a good cleaning and then make sure you are burning a good clean fire and only getting thin blue smoke from the exhaust. Also, how long did you leave them unwrapped?

I'm not scared away from briquettes. That is all I use in my smoker. I use an all natural briquette such as stubbs. There is a reason Kingsford makes an all natural competition briquette. They taste better and don't potentially depart a chemical taste. Borax is also used in laundry detergent. If that is what you want on your food then go for it.

Stubbs ingredients:
It's made of all renewable natural resources
95% hardwood charcoal
5% vegetable binder.

Kingsford Ingredients:
wood char
mineral char
mineral carbon
limestone
starch
borax
sodium nitrate
sawdust

I never said anything about toxic waste or petroleum by products so I'm not sure where that is coming from.

At the end of the day you use whatever you want. If your fine having a laundry list of things on your food then go for it. Who am I to stop you?

[/FONT]

[/FONT]
    [/FONT]

[/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]

Maybe it was something in the garnish that leeches out onto the ribs. I alway avoid gmo garnish, especially kale, because I've noticed they can leave an off taste if they mingle with the bbq too long. It's that or a dirty fire.

Hand sanitizer can also do it. Sat with a judge that kept complaining of lighter fluid but was using hand sanitizer constantly. None of the rest of us tasted anything like lighter fluid.

Back