• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Question for Shirley Owners

bri134

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm down here in Pensacola FL picking up the wife from a class shes been in (we're both active duty Navy) and she's recently given me the go ahead to buy one of Paul's works of art :becky: So on our way back up to DC, we're going to swing through Tuscaloosa and meet Paul and see his pits in person while dropping off our deposit check.

So my simple question is this:

Are there any features that you got with your SF that you haven't found much use for, or that you didn't order that you wish you had?

I understand that this is a very subjective question, but I'm very interested in your thoughts.

Thanks in advance!

whats the lead time for completion? I want a SF too.... I am thinking of getting the cabinents doors and a SS table.

what size do you want? I also want a insulated FB for the Northern weather.

Get the cabinet doors. I didn't get the doors and I wish I would have. I also have a toolbox on the front of mine that I love. Its packed full of goodies.

whats the lead time for completion? I want a SF too....

last i heard on his FB it was December?

i do wish i had the ss shelf....ive noticed when i pull the grates out the drippings tend to get stuck in between the mesh of the expanded metal shelf. its not a huge deal just a pain to clean some times

i do wish i had the ss shelf....ive noticed when i pull the grates out the drippings tend to get stuck in between the mesh of the expanded metal shelf. its not a huge deal just a pain to clean some times

I agree, only thing I would change
You'll love your new cooker

What I have I wouldn't change...

Cabinet doors
Trailer
warmer

What I would add...

Shelf and ports on the backside for temp units
propane burner
Third shelf
Coal pan for main chamber for direct grilling.

The cabinet doors are totally worth it. And I love the warmer. Both are worth it.

Don't the trailer models come with a warmer? His upgrade sheet implies they're standard but also lists them as an upgrade.

I would absolutely ever time i used the cooker .. Cover the expand metal shelf with foil.. Stainless is better for sure....

And yes the base model trailer does come with a 2 shelf warmer...

All of the Shirley pits are spectacular. With that said, the double damper system and double burners up front are extremely useful to me. The propane burners are a life saver sometimes for staring charcoal and lump. And you will be surprised at just how much you cook on them to. They are extremely handy for outdoor deep frying and boiling seafood. The propane burners are money well spent.

Ah makes sense. Any idea how that would work out on his new square cabinet design since it isn't really a pipe at that point?

Sure it is but just using a 1/4 of it and fabbing the square bits. Which just means (in a very good way) that you have all 24 inches available on all shelves.

Mine has not been built yet but you will find that the 5-6 month wait will allow you plenty of time to change/pick your options. The deposit is just really a way to reserve your spot in line. Make a spread sheet and think about your cooks and your space. I will be getting the new cabinet design. I was dead set on the insulated firebox but came to my senses since I am in Texas. Used that money for other options. You will hear a lot of owners saying they do more cooks in the warmer than the main chamber.

My must haves...
Cabinet doors, 3rd rack in warmer, ss shelf

Sure it is but just using a 1/4 of it and fabbing the square bits. Which just means (in a very good way) that you have all 24 inches available on all shelves.

Oooohhhh I see what you're saying (in case you couldn't tell I'm not too mechanically inclined :becky:).

Those of you with 24x**, ever wish you had a 30x**?

Back