Any reason to dry age brisket ?

Trunks

Take a breath!
Reaction score
Was wondering if anyone dry ages briskest ? Iv never see any one post about it and I jusy ordered the umai bags to ages steaks so I had to ask

Thanks hope everyone had a great mm day weekend

My Bly concern would be the loss due to removing the bark that forms. You can have up to a 1/4 on all sides that need trimming. Could make for a super thin flat. I think you could however age for 14-16 days. That is when most of the tenderness is achieved. After that it is mostly for the flavor. You should not have much to trim at 14-16 days. If you try 21+ days, I would fnd the thickest flat I could.

Most wet age in the cryo up to 60 days from kill date. Gives a similar outcome without the moisture loss. You don't get the concentration of flavor though.

Moisture content is what's responsible for the stall, reduction in moisture content may equate to less cooking time. :-D

I've tried this two ways. First was dry aging one from the butcher that had not been flash cooled or cryrovaced. It was as the other guy said, by the time I trimmed off the rancid, there wasn't much of the flat left. Certainly nothing to compete with, and little to eat. The other brisket I dry-aged was a complete big freakin hunk of the cow's chest. I'm not a butcher and I don't begin to speak the language. For those of you who do, it still had some bones in this chunk of beef. He hung it for 35 days and then trimmed out what we know as a packer cut brisket. It was beautiful. Very dense and a dark dark red color. After a few texts to consult smarter guys than me, I went with no injection and a SPOG rub. In hindsight, injecting it may have been a positive. It was dry, dry, dry. Wrapped it when it hit the color I wanted about 155 degrees, and did use a foil marinade. The aging process seemed to tighten it up and dry it. On the positives......it had a great beef flavor, it did not crumble, and was a fast cook.

Back