Used 22.5" WSM cross your fingers

Rusty Kettle

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Guy has a WSM 22.5" and while I am really looking for a 18.5" I still sent an email. I offered to trade my pellet grill straight up for the WSM but also asked for a bottom cash price. I think $350 is a bit much for a used one but maybe I can work something out with this guy. Definitely need more space. I like my 14.5" WSMs a lot. Kind of became my favorite smokers. I just need more space for competitions. Just because of where I live I doubt he has sold it yet. So cross your fingers.

I have the 22.5 and it's definitely better to have the extra space in my opinion.
I also agree that 350 for a used one is probably too much unless it's pretty much brand new.

Good luck! Despite what you may have heard, there is nothing wrong with the 22.5" WSM, especially for KCBS competitions! It is very difficult to fit a decent sized brisker on an 18.5" WSM without draping it over a bowl or rib rack, and those things can mess with your presentation for comps. It can be done, but why mess with it?

I made an offer of $250 we will see though. I think for four years old and being an outdated model is a fair price. Doesn't look like there is a temp probe grommet. He just contacted me today I thought it was gone but it isn't.

I made an offer of $250 we will see though. I think for four years old and being an outdated model is a fair price. Doesn't look like there is a temp probe grommet. He just contacted me today I thought it was gone but it isn't.

250 definitely sounds like a fair price... I would have went to see it in person then started off offering maybe 200. It's used and 4 years old after all. Nobody in their right mind would pay 350 for it. Brand new it was only 400.
Good luck with your haggling. Hope you get it.

I bought my 22 used for $250. The guy had used it 4 times total.

I would shoot for $200-$250 for a 4 year old one

I bought my 22 used for $250. The guy had used it 4 times total.

I would shoot for $200-$250 for a 4 year old one

Maybe, but honestly, I've got an 18.5 that's 4 years old, and if I hadn't left it out in the rain, it'd be in tip-top shape. The body still is, but I had to replace the grates, something I easily could've avoided.

My point -- a 4 year old WSM may be in just as good shape as a used-4-times WSM. Don't be surprised if OP gets turned down on an offer of $200.

OP -- ensure that the insides are in great shape, otherwise def offer the $200. Replacing the 3 grates will cost over 60 bucks.

Last edited:
Don't be surprised if OP gets turned down on an offer of $200.

Might get turned down, but if he was standing there in person with the seller ready to load it in his vehicle I would definitely offer $200. Nobody is going to accept what they might consider to be a "low ball offer" whether they're right or wrong about the value over the phone or email. Show up ready to take it and dangle the money. That's how you negotiate a good price.

I agree with showing up with cash and making an offer depending on condition. As Dave Ramsey says, "Be prepared to walk away." The seller may take the sure cash now rather than the possibility of more cash later.

Can't hurt to try. $350 is probably too much.

Joe

Yeah, I think $350 is way too much for a used, 4 year old stock WSM. Brand new they're $399 and every once in a while you can find them on sale or get a $50 gift card to the store where it's purchased. Unless the thing is tricked out with multiple mods $350 is just too high. $250 seems fair if it's in really good condition. If he doesn't take it, I'd walk away but leave a number or email address in case he changes his mind. There are better deals out there for sure.

Back