Cooking on another man's pit tomorrow...

Yep, photos would be cool!!

Have fun with the challenge! I bet you end up doing a great job with what you have!

I did a cook once where I was given matchlight and frozen hot dogs.
About 50 kids. Everyone ate. :wink:

I'm a bit afraid to put up identifying pictures (like I haven't put enough details in already). This thing only has one grate and I got a bunch of ribs and chicken to make for the party tonight. There's a gasser that I figured was for chicken breasts, burgers and steaks. I'll probably use it to smoke the chicken and keep them warm in the oven as we grill (hopefully no one is baking in it).

About 80% of the lid looks like this

Got up a few hours ago to cook up some BBQ to add to the breakfast for those helping to set up. Don't know my temp, but feels like 300-350. Stuff should be coming off in the next hour (took the fatties off already, too busy prepping the chix + ribs to take a picture). The matchlight definitely has a nasty smell. I'm going through a lot of this stuff burning it down and keeping a high temp, but it's smelling a little better once they're glowing hot (still nasty tho).

IMG_3348_zpsjuvdqw01.jpg

Yep, photos would be cool!!

Have fun with the challenge! I bet you end up doing a great job with what you have!

I did a cook once where I was given matchlight and frozen hot dogs.
About 50 kids. Everyone ate. :wink:

That may be my back up plan if these taste like chit haha

That's looking good Tony, nice job of making the most out of your situation! :clap2: :popcorn:

I'm really happy with the color and texture. The taste is okay, better than I thought. Don't have that nice sweet smoke flavor, but at least it doesn't taste like lighter fluid. There is an off flavor, but I think I'm the only one that notices. Tried these little beef short ribs for the first time today. Cooked them till probe tender and man they are tasty. Will have to do more of these when I get back home.

Got 5 racks of ribs that I rolled up on the UDS and the chix are air drying in the fridge. Definitely going to sauce these for tonight. The guy will be here in 2 hours to help me out. Curious how he normally does these. It's going to be a long day of cooking

Ha! Looks great!! Its amazing what you can do when your backs against the wall.

I think I mess up more cooks at home because I'm not trying to please anyone but me and get to lax in what I'm doing.

Cooking on another man's pit is like putting on another man's underwear, you just don't do it. Lol, jk. But seriously you don't do it.

I'd of wrapped Aluminum foil around the lid or barrel top, bought some KBB n Wood Chunks and a $5 Turkey fryer thermo to stick down exhaust -That's Not changing his pit.

It's looking fabulous, for what you had to work with.
That matchlight is nasty, plus it burns so fast you need 2x as much.

Sorry guys, by the time I finished, showered and knocked a few back with the family I crashed hard for the night.

Asked the guy how hell cooks so much on a single grate, said he usually boils the ribs and finishes them on the UDS.. how did I know that was coming :tsk:

Got a lot of compliments, but just as important... I burned chit out of half his matchlight getting them down to embers before tossing them in the UDS. Made sure to tell the guy there's a KBB sale going on and maybe while he's there, try some royal oak :-D

Definitely spoiled by my WSM: get a chimney to ash over, minion method and I'm good for hours. Here I had to constantly make and feed embers to keep the temp going. By the time I got the charcoals to stop smelling horrible, more than half the briquette was gone.

The warped lid may have helped me in the end. The top vents are tiny slits (less than half the size of the holes on a weber kettle). The gaps may have helped the smoke from collecting on the top of that dome and dropping nasty stuff on the food.

Bend test, probe tender and twisting chicken legs saved my arse!

"By the time I got the charcoals to stop smelling horrible, more than half the briquette was gone. "

Good Show !!!!!

great job under pressure! i think you did great just keeping the things in your head from coming out of your mouth.:tape:

Back