Discussion Thread -> "Pulled!" Throwdown (Entries and Quality ON TOPIC *CLEAN* Discussion Only)

Shagdog

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Our new TD category is..."Pulled!"

CATEGORY DESCRIPTION - READ BEFORE ENTERING

Oldyote said:
Make something cooked to pull. Pulled Pork, Chuckies, lamb, zebra, tiger, bear. The Sky is the limit!

Make something cooked to pull. Pulled Pork, Chuckies, lamb, zebra, tiger, bear. The Sky is the limit!You may submit entries that are cooked from Friday 7/3 through the entry submission deadline of 12 p.m. Central US Time on Monday 7/13/15.

Entry pictures must be submitted by 12 p.m. Central US Time on Monday 7/13/15

The ENTRY and VOTE threads will follow Q-Talk rules, meaning QUALITY ON-TOPIC discussion of the category or entries only, please. Discussion is encouraged to take place in the DISCUSSION THREAD, but if you want a recipe, or are looking for details or have QUALITY ON-TOPIC comments to make about an entry or the category you can make them in the ENTRY or VOTE thread. Non-quality posts that are made here will be deleted and the offending member will be asked why they couldn't just post in the DISCUSSION thread instead, and in extreme cases or repeat offenders, disciplinary action WILL happen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Official Entry for the Pulled TD

I am doing 2 Butts or they may be shoulders. Unfortunately I forgot a lot of the prep work pics
Rub applied and on the Egg at 12:30 AM. Temp 230

Went to bed and up at 6:30AM. Temps 163 and 171. Time to wrap. Granulated brown sugar, Plowboys Yardbird, honey and 1/2 stick of butter applied before double wrapping in foil. Grill set at 260. Both pulled at same time 198 and 201. Taken inside and vented a few minutes to release the steam. Taken off grill 11-11:30

Started to pull after a 2-2 1/2 hour rest
One Butt

The other

Both pulled

Please use this pic as my official entry

I'm really hoping that this draws several entries. I'm not real big on pulled meats of any kind at this point, so I'm hoping to see some spectacular cooks from some of you great cooks here to give me some ideas(to steal):twisted:.

Thanks in advance!

KC

:doh:I just cooked a whole case of butts on the 4th and have no pulled pics

Way to encourage the on topic thread, Peeps! :thumb:
Hey, I can keep it on topic sometimes :wink:

And I might just have an entry to throw into this guy from while I was on vacation. I just need to remember what day I cooked it. Off to the FB to check!

Here is my entry...

Ok after a long hiatus from Throwdowns, please accept this as my entry into this throwdown! (2 in a row:shocked:)

Build thread here!
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3295720#post3295720

I made some SWACHOS! (swine+nachos=swachos!)

I smoked some butts for a party my cousin was throwing over the weekend and I was able to sneak 4lbs of pulled pork for myself!

28EC35DF-10AC-45D5-827F-DC7D8C6BD1A4_zpszmltbgp6.jpg

6687B599-766A-487D-80E9-AD65E3FF9122_zpsu3mhtsla.jpg

B151A73E-2E9A-445B-AAFF-EE4A380FEF4D_zpsht7kxjs5.jpg

So for tonight's dinner I made pulled pork nachos! I layered tortilla chips with some black beans with sauteed onions and garlic, some Modelo Negro beer queso,the pulled pork and bbq sauce and then repeated for a second layer. I then threw the whole shebang into the smoker for 10-15 min @ 375° to let everything heat up and get a kiss of smoke. They were so good let me tell ya!

IMG_0991_zpsctev6qen.jpg

IMG_0999_zpsjfqck7jx.jpg

Please use this as my polling pic:

IMG_1002_zpsbpf9e6mh.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Pulled Chicken Cabbage Rolls....

Please accept this as my entry into the "Pulled" Throwdown.
I started with this;
Chicken%20stuffed%20cabbage%20rolls%20on%20spaghetti%20squash%20003_zpsajlzhnqb.jpg

As well as some other spices and stuff. cooked up the chicken on the kettle and pulled;
Chicken%20stuffed%20cabbage%20rolls%20on%20spaghetti%20squash%20007_zpsviq0lbts.jpg

Chicken%20stuffed%20cabbage%20rolls%20on%20spaghetti%20squash%20010_zps3ibc1nyh.jpg

Chicken%20stuffed%20cabbage%20rolls%20on%20spaghetti%20squash%20029_zpsqotulm9k.jpg

And then did a few other things to end up with this:
Chicken%20stuffed%20cabbage%20rolls%20on%20spaghetti%20squash%20048_zpscnor50ur.jpg

Chicken%20stuffed%20cabbage%20rolls%20on%20spaghetti%20squash%20049_zpsc1ar9nbi.jpg

Please use the following as my entry shot;
Chicken%20stuffed%20cabbage%20rolls%20on%20spaghetti%20squash%20050%202_zpsdkoc6j4z.jpg

It was delicious!
You can see the full cook thread here: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=214062

Thanks for looking all, and keep on Qing,

KC

Last edited:
Cochinita Pibil - Take 2

This is my enter into the “Pulled” Throwdown.

It’s been a while since I made some of this awesome pork dish and decided to remedy that. Here are most of the ingredients for the marinade and the pickled red onion.

I had also dung out a 8.85 lb. pork shoulder from the freezer that I had purchased on sale for $0.99 a lb. I cut most of the fat cap off and placed it in an aluminum chaffing pan and then scored the meat in alternating directions for better marinate penetration.

I poured half of the marinade over this side and then turned it over and poured on the over half.

I covered this and let it rest in the fridge overnight. Now I sliced up 2 large red onions with a mandolin. I had started a pan of water to boil and put the onions in for approximately 5 minutes and then drained them in a colander and poured cold water over them. Now I put them in a quart canning jar and squeezed in 3 Valencia oranges, 2 limes and 2 tablespoons of white wine vinegar along with on Habanero pepper to add just a little heat.

Today I spread out some aluminum foil in alternating directions. I then spread out some parchment paper in alternating directions along with some butchers twine. And finally the banana leaves in alternating directions along with some butchers twine. I place the pork shoulder on the banana leaves and wrapped this up with my wife trying the twine for me. (This part goes so must faster with some help) Then wrapped that in the parchment paper and finally the aluminum foil. I lite up the kamado and set it up for indirect cooking. Once it got up to 325 I put on the package. (It got up to 350)

We went for a little drive now and I purchased some fresh made (still warm) corn tortillas. 4 hours later the IT was 211 degrees and ready to take off. I set it on the side of the kamado to cool a little. As it was cooling I reheated the tortillas and put them in my tortilla warmer. Now I started to unwrap the package. Oh it looks good and the smell was incredible!

I fished out the banana leaves and the bone. Now I pulled the meat. (It pulls so easy)

Here it is plated with rice, beans and a Dos Equis Chelada.

And the money shot below. Please use this as my polling photo.

Muy Delicioso! :becky:

The entire cook thread can be seen here: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=214058

I didn't know this was going on but I did a hanging butt experiment yesterday hanging start to finish on the hooks. Came out really good.

Here's right when before I pulled it, the bone was on it's way out it looks. lol

Here's some of the plated pull, Please use this as my official entry.

Here is the cook thread. Thank You!

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=214002

Oldyote's quote:
Make something cooked to pull. Pulled Pork, Chuckies, lamb, zebra, tiger, bear. The Sky is the limit!

OK! I cooked something to pull. Haven't actually pulled it yet, but dang. That's what it says. :thumb:

Official To Pull Entry.

Cooked in the Cajun Bandit yesterday at around 270~275 for about 9 hours and it was ready at 195 IT with some nice bone wiggle.

SMOKED HORTA!!!

butt1_zpsshevvhbe.jpg

OK, it's really a pork butt, but what the Hell.

We haven't pulled it yet. That's for tonight. We ate the ribs from the same cook last night. :becky:

That's a wrap, folks! Look for my poll shortly...

Back