We Want to Hear Your Feedback Regarding Changes to the Throwdown Forum

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
peeps, Shagdog and I have been discussing a few things behind the scenes, one in particular:

Should we dispense with the delinquent, off topic threads altogether? For those of you who are newer here, these were originally created to offset the constant whackadoodling that was basically hijacking entry threads. Here's a couple of examples of older, off topic threads:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=190513

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=188729

It seems that many of our old timers aren't around here much or not around here at all, the off topic threads don't get a lot of traction. Also, with a number of newer folks participating of late, I don't even think some of the off topic banter probably even makes sense to a number of folks who are newer, even though it's a small fraction of what it once was.

We'd like to hear your feedback and any ideas you'd like to contribute. Please keep the discussion civil and friendly!

:nod:

Last edited:
Personally, as an old-timer who is no longer around, I find that the two threads makes the whack-a-doodling a whole lot less fun. I don't have an interest in the delinquent thread generally. So, I say, good riddance of them, simplify the process.

Personally, as an old-timer who is no longer around, I find that the two threads makes the whack-a-doodling a whole lot less fun. I don't have an interest in the delinquent thread generally. So, I say, good riddance of them, simplify the process.

And you are no longer around because?

I'm not against what you are proposing, Bob, but the only issue that could come up is if there is a new wave of whackadoodlry in entry threads, it would drive some folks away. We had a LOT of feedback to this effect from folks who just didn't want to participate due to many, many pages of whacked banter before there was a single entry. The singular goal Chris and I had when I came on board was to drive more participants to the TD's, and despite some grunts and groans, just about everyone got on board with the separation of the two threads.

i dont participate for obvious reasons... but IMHO,and based on conversations with some members/participants, the BIG prizes,in the long run had a negative effect. Made it too serious. No ones gonna go over the top for a jar of rub or jug of sauce.. but the big $ prizes can potentially bring out the worst in people.

Just adding something to the conversation since you asked. :wink:

I started taking part in the TD's a few months ago (and enjoyed it) but ended up stopping because I am so busy with other stuff. I try to stop in and keep up with current TD's but to be honest there are so many threads I usually don't read many. I would vote for removing the off topic threads

i dont participate for obvious reasons... but IMHO,and based on conversations with some members/participants, the BIG prizes,in the long run had a negative effect. Made it too serious. No ones gonna go over the top for a jar of rub or jug of sauce.. but the big $ prizes can potentially bring out the worst in people.

Just adding something to the conversation since you asked. :wink:

Agreed, Phil, and thanks for chiming in!

The delinquent, off topic threads are where clarifications have been asked, thus not clogging up the entry thread.
I do know that, for me, the prizes have taken a lot of the fun out of the process. It lead to the blind voting. Part of the fun was the discusion about how the vote was developing.
I only checked the thread tonight because the request for feedback showed on the main page. I've been skipping the throwdown section most visits.

I started doing the throwdowns a while ago but I am not an old timer either. I don't bother with the delinquent threads so I would be happy to see them go, they are just clutter in the thread list. I don't mind some banter in the official thread, it makes it more interesting, as long as it doesn't get totally out of hand.

I like the throwdowns a lot. I don't always have time, but I join them when I can. For me, they make the site more fun.

I liked it better when the voting wasn't blind because it was fun to see the votes develop but I think blind is better because nobody can question it.

The throwdowns are a fun thing. I appreciate that you guys put in the effort to run them and keep them fair and fun. It seems to me a little crazy that anybody takes them too seriously. Let's keep them going, and keep them light and fun!

And thanks for asking for the feedback.

One more thing. I like having prizes and I don't think they take the fun out of it. I entered throwdowns for a couple of years before I finally won one, and getting a bottle of rub for it was huge! It made it more fun to win. It doesn't matter to me if the prizes are big or small, it was just nice to get something for the win. I really like the certificates, too.

I agree the higher level of prizes changed the TD's. I enjoy the delinquent threads - Maybe I am just that way!

I also really enjoyed the banter with the voting. The blind vote make it boring. I even miss the vote sometime because there is no reason to go to the thread.

When people discuss the reason they vote a particular way, it adds to the discussion. What tghey liked, how they followed the theme and spirit of the TD Etc.

For me it is about the cook and the spirit of the chosen cook. Although there is some great photography, I place more value on the cook. It is a BBQ / Cook forum.

Maybe the prizes should be blind and not the vote?

Just my opinion - You asked - Carry on!

The delinquent threads don't bother me but hard to follow at times. I generally skip through them depending on how much surfing time I have.

I don't see the prizes being an issue. Maybe more of a motivator for more to enter. I have been posting my food for quit a while and just did my first throw down from not really knowing what it truly was.

i always thought the delinquent thread was so you mods didn't have to wade through as much junk to get to entries. for all i care the they can be one thread cause i use the voting thread to check entries by clicking on each one.

Prizes are fun, cant take the fun out for me since im never gonna win anyway.

i think the blind voting has produced different results than open. I think before folks tended to vote for entries that still had a chance to win. i never saw blind voting as a fix to the problem that created the whole mess in that started it. That said the suspense creates a new dimension good or bad.

One of our main objectives since I joined the mod team was to help drive more TD participants. We do this by posting a weekly announcement in Qtalk, usually "This Week in the Throwdowns", or by members who cross reference the Throwdown by including a link in their Qtalk cook threads.

The challenge with the separate off topic/on topic threads with newcomers is that it creates more clutter that they have to wade through. Just today, someone asked if they could post their entry in an off topic thread.

The TD rules, as simple as they may seem, can be a bit of a learning curve for newer folks. They certainly were for me when I started here back in 2009. I can see a case being made for eliminating the off topic threads if we can keep the entry threads relatively ON TOPIC.

While we have no set rules for voting threads, there's been a fair bit of humor and camaraderie there, so I see no need for policy changes in the voting threads as it relates to discussion.

I enjoy the throwdowns when people aren't arguing, seems you fixed that.
That certificate means a lot to me, Prizes I don't overly care for.
I have seen it over here in ozz ,as soon as prizes got offered, the posters would link the cook to their mates,
Love the dribble threads ,but that's just me.
The hidden votes appears to be working

Last edited:
Vote for Moose.........or a cat............or a dog..........

I would rather see the off topic thread left in place. You can ignore it if you want. That being said, I would like to see a required format to the entry thread. I know it has been discussed before, and I don't care which way it goes but either a full cook post or just a money shot and a link to a full cook post... either would be fine, though I would rather see the full cook in the entry thread (you can still double post it for the folks who don't visit the TDs). I also think that it should be a locked post. Comments about "I voted for xxx" or "they all look great" can be in the off topic thread IMHO. As for the prizes, I am good with them. Might be nice to have the occasional "certificate only" TD though.

Speaking as a spectator/fan only, I am fine with whatever y'all decide 8)

I have seen the rules change multiple times over the years and we have adapted each time.

TIM

As one who never really participated in the delinquent threads it doesn’t really matter if they go away. Although they did seem like everyone was having fun I just never had the time. There should be somewhere to ask questions but that really wasn't what was happening in them most of the time.

One way to avoid confusion is to name the threads differently.

Throw down "brisket leftover challenge" entry thread
Throw down "brisket leftover challenge" discussion

My participation in the Throwdowns has waned, because my cooking has waned. Due to circumstances beyond my control, I don't cook outside nearly as much as I once did or would like to now. And when I do cook outside, most often, I don't control the menu.

I enjoy the TD's, and feel it was more fun when there were no prizes and we could all just complain about the certificates that we never actually got. That being said, prizes are fun, and I think it adds to the overall competition. As for the delinquent threads, I think they add, or subtract, only as each TD is one that is popular or not.

Back