• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Chicken thigh advice...

caseydog

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I know that chicken thighs are one of the categories for competition BBQ, but I've never done them on the smoker. I got some really cheap today on sale, so what happens next?

I plan to smoke some Bb ribs on the WSM this weekend, and thought I might as well do some thighs at the same time.

I figure I should put the chicken below the pork, since cooking chicken drippings on pork might be a bad idea. Is that plan kosher? Well, not kosher in the real sense, but you know what I mean. I'm not religious -- I just don't want to get food poisoning. I figure pork fat drippings on chicken can only lead to good things.

What other chicken thigh advice should I consider?

CD

I tend to do chicken beneath pork, cause I like pork fat on chicken. No other reason than that. I don't worry about chicken juice on pork with the cooking times involved here.

I always do mine higher 350-400. I've seen lots of comments that smoking isn't great for chicken.

I've actually had great luck smoking chicken. I have a Lang 60D, and the firebox side of my smoker is hotter, so the chicken is cooked there, it's quicker and the chicken doesn't take on too much smoke.

Chicken thighs are very forgiving and I do cook them in the same cooker with ribs for comps (you didn't mention competition, though). Many cooks "fight" with the skin to get it tender or "bite through". Often, it will toughen at smoking temps. The most common fixes for this are either removing it a scraping it until thin (then re-applying it) or to coat it well with butter, or both. It is also easy to over-smoke it so take it easy on that count.

Back