Fried Apples! A Great Thanksgiving Day Side

Boshizzle

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
My Mother used to fry apples all the time. This time of year, I think about her cooking more often. No one could make fried apples, biscuits or turkey dressing like her! Here is my Mother's fried apple recipe. We used to have these on Thanksgiving Day all the time.

Peel the apples, slice them, and put them in a frying pan with a couple of pats of butter. Let them cook for a while then added some lemon juice, brown sugar, a pinch of salt, and some apple pie spice. Let them simmer until they are tender. Notice how much they cook down. The long cooking concentrates the apple flavor.

Serve them along with hot hoe cake or biscuits and butter. Easy but awesomely delicious!

Apples1_zps95be1908.jpg

Apples2_zps3797a3bc.jpg

Gotta do 2 grilled spatchcock turkeys for fellow employees on Tuesday. You just filled my "Special Desert"... Fried Apples with Ice Cream!!!!!!!
Thank you!

What apple do you use? One of the breakfast that I have planned for company later this week will be french toast with bacon on the side, I think this fried apple would go nicely with that. Is there a difference between hoe cakes, and pancakes, always been a little fuzzy on that?
Dave

What apple do you use? One of the breakfast that I have planned for company later this week will be french toast with bacon on the side, I think this fried apple would go nicely with that. Is there a difference between hoe cakes, and pancakes, always been a little fuzzy on that?
Dave

I had some honey crisp and golden delicious apples on hand that I used. We have a lot of golden delicious apples grown in the area and that's usually what I use. But, any kind of apple you prefer will work fine.

Hoe cake can be made with wheat flour or corn meal or a mix of both. The hoe cake I prefer with fried apples is a mix of SR flour, lard or shortening and water or milk. I'd say about 1 cup of flour, 1 TBS fat and enough milk to moisten the mixture. You want the dough to be like a biscuit dough. I then take about a golf ball size chunk of dough, flatten it out thin and cook it in a greased frying pan until done, turning once.

When I moved here from Los Angeles in 1971, a neighbor did a BBQ and served panned apples and fried corn on the side. Friends like that and the James River got me hooked

Back