Pellets in Iowa

BBQ_Mayor

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Does anybody know where I could pick some wood pellets in iowa?
I've always got them from a guy in Minn. but I won't be getting up there for a while.

Thanks for the help

Can't ya burn corn? :biggrin: Corn smoked ribs has a good ring to it.

If you can't find anything up there, I'll be coming your way for the BBQ Spring Training - I can bring some up if you line something up from down here.

Can't ya burn corn? :biggrin: Corn smoked ribs has a good ring to it.

If you can't find anything up there, I'll be coming your way for the BBQ Spring Training - I can bring some up if you line something up from down here.

If I used corn on a brisket would it be considered corned beef. :-D

Thanks Bobby, I'll let you know.
This is one of those draw backs to a pellet cooker. Pellets aren't sold at Lowes like charcoal is.

I'm sure you have thought of them, but have you tried Hawgeyes in Ankeny??

Last edited:
I get mine from Candy Weaver at BBQ'rs Delight. Their website is http://www.bbqrsdelight.com/

I've got a Traeger BBQ075. I was looking for an alternative to buying Traeger's pellets...due to cost. Plus, Traeger uses alder wood as a filler. The BBQrs Delight is a little less expensive and they use oak as their filler wood.

Ray,

There is a place in Des Moines that sells Traeger's. Don't know the name of the company, but found this ad and phone number on CL. The ad says they are in Des Moines / West Des Moines. Good luck. :)

For Sale new BBQ smoker Model BBQ124 Great deal retails for over 1000.00 dollars.Late fall ******* 899.00 With new cover and hickory and cherry pellets.

Traegers website:
www.traegerindustries.com
Call with questions 515-778-3147 Bob

I've burned Ozark Hardwood pellets for the last 2 years and love them. Buy them from a farm supply store for $3.49 for 40 lbs. Lowe's are about $4.00 I think. I know some people scoff at them, but they sure work for me!

Harrison's RVs in Jefferson sells Treagers & I've seen a sign at Bomgars advertising "wood pellets". Or maybe check with Shad or Clone @ Smokey D's for a source. If Hawgeyes' doesn't carry them I'm sure they can set you in the right direction.

Check with Clone. I'm not a fan of the Traeger pellets.

When did you get a pellet cooker, Ray?

Shoppers on the north side of DM carries pellets, but I believe those are meant for heat stoves, is there a difference?

I have always used the OP brand from Orsceln Farm and home. Like PigBoy said, a lot of people scoff at them but that's too bad. If they want to spend the money on it then that's fine. Kingsford uses the same loads of sawdust for their charcoal as the OP maker so what's the difference.

KC is not that far from Iowa. If you want a bunch, get ahold of Fast Eddy. I buy his 2000#'s at a time and they burn great! Pick them up at KC Underground Storage, just off of I-435.

Sure am glad that stick burrners are easier to get fuel for!!!

Check with Clone. I'm not a fan of the Traeger pellets.

When did you get a pellet cooker, Ray?

Your right, I should check with Clone. Hawgeyes haven't carried them in the past buy maybe mike will reconsider if a lot of us become pellet heads.

Bought it last year after Waucoma. Got a Lousianna Country Whole Hog.
After I saw Ho De's cooker in Bellevue,Neb.

I love it, but it is having troubles with the paddle wheels. Turk is working on that for me. Hopefully it will be ready for NKC.

Give Candy Weaver at BBQ'rs Delight a call. The number is on the website. She will tell you the closest place to get some pellets. She is very helpful and I only use their product in my 075.

Back