Aaron Franklin Secret Ingredient Is....Beef Tallow?

I watched it and really like Jeremy Yoder’s stuff so I ordered some tallow. Will give it a whirl here soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I watched it and really like Jeremy Yoder’s stuff so I ordered some tallow. Will give it a whirl here soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'd love to hear your thoughts. I don't think Aaron Franklin uses beef tallow but if it helps emulate a Franklin brisket how is it not a win! I'm way too much of a brisket rookie but if I knew halfway what I was doing with a brisket I'd be ordering some beef tallow to try out. I think it would be fun to try. I also enjoy Jeremy Yoder's videos.

I can see tallow as a surface conditioner, and if you have ever recycled your foil liquid... it acts similar. I can't believe tallow diffuses into the meat because he didn't use much from that squirt bottle, and fat molecules are pretty large.

Why do I believe this? Well, has anyone used lard on ribs or chicken in the final stages of the cook? You want to warm up the lard, I either use a small cast iron basting cup or a foil tin you see in one photo. Here is a before lard and after lard photos of chicken.

Wq1iXWe.jpg

lXcn4kL.jpg

Jk2TyWw.jpg

I don’t think the tallow diffuses into the meat either. I think that maybe pre soaking the butcher paper makes it less absorbent so it draws less moisture from the meat. JYs next video should be one of him dumpster diving at AFBBQ looking for empty tallow containers.

I usually inject my brisket with a combo of Aujus and "Brisket Jelly", which I mix together. Brisket Jelly is the liquid I get from the juices in the wrapping. Pour off the "Tallow" and the rest of the juice gets frozen in ice trays and bagged.
The tallow I store in a small mason jar in refrig.
I use the "juice" as stock and flavoring, and mix into injection with that rendered "tallow".
Really keeps the brisket moist and does add to the flavor. Every one who has had my brisket says its the best they have had, even the former Texas boys.

I usually inject my brisket with a combo of Aujus and "Brisket Jelly", which I mix together. Brisket Jelly is the liquid I get from the juices in the wrapping. Pour off the "Tallow" and the rest of the juice gets frozen in ice trays and bagged.
The tallow I store in a small mason jar in refrig.
I use the "juice" as stock and flavoring, and mix into injection with that rendered "tallow".
Really keeps the brisket moist and does add to the flavor. Every one who has had my brisket says its the best they have had, even the former Texas boys.

the sourdough brisket method

Surely, someone whose worked there would have spilled this secret long ago. Those kind of things are hard to keep quiet.

People go out on their own and do what AF does and they have people working for them who talk ........... on and on.

Surely, someone whose worked there would have spilled this secret long ago. Those kind of things are hard to keep quiet.

People go out on their own and do what AF does and they have people working for them who talk ........... on and on.

Using tallow on brisket isn't exactly a trade "Texas Secret." People have been doing it for a long time...Texicana BBQ (the guy is from Italy) does this with his briskets. I've tried it before in the past but I feel like it just made the exterior extra greasy, and it also made cleanup a pain in the butt. It obviously didn't "sink into the meat" or anything of that nature, so it was just aesthetics and made the brisket a mess. It did taste a bit better on the tongue, but the chew was the exact same as without it.

You're also forgetting NDA (Non Disclosure Agreements) and how they can have hefty consequences when broken. Also, by all accounts except for John Mueller, Aaron Franklin is a pretty good dude / nice guy. Why would anyone intentionally set out to give away his secrets?

Great video, I wonder if this is a way to get better results with lesser grades of brisket? I always struggle getting black bark on a choice brisket on my Yoder. I cooked a Waygu a few weeks ago and it looked and tasted like Franklin's brisket, but at $14 a pound, it really isn't worth it.

Chris

What does holding a brisket in a Alto Shaam for 12-16 hours do to the butcher paper? Is that the real answer here?

If I was betting - I’d guess Franklin uses tallow when it’s needed. As in, if some briskets are cooking different on a given day, or is looking dry, it’s probably one of the tricks he uses.

He makes a lot of adjustments on how he cooks based on a variety of factors, like any good pit master does.

Using tallow on brisket isn't exactly a trade "Texas Secret." People have been doing it for a long time...Texicana BBQ (the guy is from Italy) does this with his briskets. I've tried it before in the past but I feel like it just made the exterior extra greasy, and it also made cleanup a pain in the butt. It obviously didn't "sink into the meat" or anything of that nature, so it was just aesthetics and made the brisket a mess. It did taste a bit better on the tongue, but the chew was the exact same as without it.

You're also forgetting NDA (Non Disclosure Agreements) and how they can have hefty consequences when broken. Also, by all accounts except for John Mueller, Aaron Franklin is a pretty good dude / nice guy. Why would anyone intentionally set out to give away his secrets?
Yup. 6:05 in this video you can see him do it to beef https://youtu.be/OHD5CAn3YCQ

Back