MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 01-17-2006, 07:01 AM   #31
lunchlady
is one Smokin' Farker

I've never felt good about anything I didn't earn my-self honest. I thought everyone felt the same way? Right? exactly!IMO, pre-trimming meat is fine, although inspectors do like cryovac. I think any inspector worth their salt is going to know if that particular meat has been pre-seasoned, marinated, or not. Whether or not said meat is actually put in the turn in box, now that is a huge accusation. Honestly folks, and I may be in the naive New England bunch, but...I have NEVER known, or even heard of anyone turning in something they didn't prepare TOTALLY on site. The integrity of your team (and your trophies) is all you have. If people think you cheat, everyone WILL know it. Eventually, all secrets get out, and then, I would even go so far as to say that WE (your peers) would make you PAY, DEARLY. two words .... Raffael Palmeiro ...poor bastardmichelle
[URL="http://www.nebs.org"][I][FONT=Century Gothic]www.nebs.org[/FONT][/I][/URL]
[I][FONT=Century Gothic]2 Backwoods Partys [/FONT][/I]
[I][FONT=Century Gothic]WSM, 2 Weber kettles, Weber Performer[/FONT][/I]
[I][FONT=Century Gothic]Large BGE[/FONT][/I]
lunchlady is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2006, 07:12 AM   #32
homebbq
Full Fledged Farker

Hey Michelle, say hi for me to the rest of the lunchmeat folks... Enjoyed meeting your team in Douglas...
www.outdoorcookingchannel.com
homebbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2006, 09:19 AM   #33
lunchlady
is one Smokin' Farker

Hi Kevin, it was a pleasure. See ya out there....
[URL="http://www.nebs.org"][I][FONT=Century Gothic]www.nebs.org[/FONT][/I][/URL]
[I][FONT=Century Gothic]2 Backwoods Partys [/FONT][/I]
[I][FONT=Century Gothic]WSM, 2 Weber kettles, Weber Performer[/FONT][/I]
[I][FONT=Century Gothic]Large BGE[/FONT][/I]
lunchlady is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2006, 10:08 AM   #34
kcpellethead
Full Fledged Farker

This thread is very interesting. There are always going to be folks who think the winners are cheating. It's just part of anything competitive. I've cooked against many of the best teams in the country, and I'm here to tell you that they do not cheat. Plain and simple. These folks are true competitors, and to them, cheating would diminish their success.

There is potential for cheating in any activity. However, to just assume it is there says something about the person making the statement. If I thought I was entering an event where I knew there was cheating going on . . .well, I'd not enter. If I see someone cheating, I'm going to do something about it.

As many of you have already stated, it's perfectly acceptable to trim and wash your meat before you arrive at the contest site. Someone asked what the advantage to this would be. For me, it's important because I usually don't arrive at a contest until around 12:00PM or even later. I want my big cuts seasoned and refrigerated by 2:00PM. Having done this prep work the night before allows me to pull up, prep my meat with minimal set-up and get it put away. Then I can set up camp. Many times I'm by myself until early evening. So, I don't have to find water and trim my meat before I can get it seasoned any put away. I have yet to have any meat inspector question why my meat is not in it's original package.

Go out and have fun folks. That's what it's really all about.

If I do everything half ass, how can I be a "full fledged" anything?
kcpellethead is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2006, 12:06 PM   #35
homebbq
Full Fledged Farker

I agree with you Rod, I hear it a lot... And there is no way I would think any competitor that competes frequently would begin to risk doing something like that...

For me, as I said I like to do ribs and chicken in advance (when I can). Since I normally arrive before 10am, I usually have no problem getting my larger cuts marinating (coincidently my target is by 2:00pm as well).. The advantage on ribs is to be able to select the best slabs to take with me, rather than live with the surprises out of the cryovac. With chicken, just by how much trimming I do on chicken, the time it saves me at a contest is very worthwhile, especially since I am also usually by myself until evening..
www.outdoorcookingchannel.com
homebbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2006, 03:12 PM   #36
scottyd
is One Chatty Farker

I always have had plenty of time, I try to arrive early on fridays by 9am or so. I do like to wash my chicken and trim it before hand. I think all in all we are all honest enough to not warrent cheating. what thrill would it be the win by cheating anyway!
[B]STUMPS 223[/B]
[B]STUMPS CLASSIC[/B]
[B]STUMPS PLATNUM BEING BUILT NOW[/B]
[B]WEBER KETTLE GOLD[/B]
[B]YOUR SILENCE WILL NOT SAVE YOU[/B]
scottyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2006, 03:20 PM   #37
kcquer
Lives in Spirit

If you want to believe in Santa Claus, the tooth fairy, Easter Bunny and no one cheats at Q contests feel free. I like to think that women don't poop, doesn't make it so.
kcquer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2006, 04:01 PM   #38
Sawdustguy
Quintessential Chatty Farker

KCQuer,

I also see no advantage in seasoning ahead of time. My team has only cooked in one event. We were there at 7:00AM Saturday when they start letting teams in. We were set up in an hour and our meat was inspected at 8:30AM. Immediately after having the meat inspected we were trimming and seasoning the meat. We finished that by 9:30AM and the meat went back into the ice chests. The pork and brisket went on the smoker at about 9:30PM giving it 12 hours in the ice chest with the seasonings. There is really no reason to do this ahead of time and there is no advantage to it. I don't see what the big deal is? Most of those who cheat, cheat for a reason and usually that reason is that they can't BBQ worth a damn under normal circumstances. These guys normally don't win and if they do win, it's a fluke. The good teams don't need to cheat. They are great without breaking the rules.

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2006, 05:11 PM   #39
Paola Greg
Full Fledged Farker

Cheating: At the Royal this past year, my first, a couple of young blond cuties came by to inspect my meat Friday afternoon. I think they were new to the job. Well, I opened my cooler that had the chicken and ribs in it, they said "great, looks good, thanks" gave me the Ok'd sticker,and started to walk away. I said " wait a minute, you have to look at the brisket and pork too, they are in the other cooler". They said, Oh, OK and inspected them, and went on their way.
Then later the next evening came the awards ceremony, and damn, right before they called the winning team in brisket to the stage they called us up and gave us a big fat check, and a ribbon that'll last forever and that we are proud of.
So, you cheaters go ahead and cheat, you that accuse folks of cheating just give it a try and see how you do, don't matter to me, and watch the winners win.

Old 01-17-2006, 06:06 PM   #40
BrooklynQ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcquer
If you want to believe in Santa Claus, the tooth fairy, Easter Bunny and no one cheats at Q contests feel free. I like to think that women don't poop, doesn't make it so.
KC - What's behind all this? Who's been cheating you? Didn't your daddy love you enough? Momma? Lay down on the couch and talk to Dr. Rob.
BrooklynQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2006, 11:09 PM   #41
Jeff_in_KC
somebody shut me the fark up.

I would be shocked to hear any proof that cheating is a conmmon occurance in BBQ contests. Are they lax in checking meat? Yeah, definitely so but I'm guessing most people in this hobby are pretty honest folks... at least the one's I've met seem to be. I'd be pretty damned mad if I found out a person I knew was cheating. That's after I got over the initial shock of it.

Moderator edited
KCBS Member #14287

Last edited by Solidkick; 01-18-2006 at 06:17 PM..
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote