Favorite BBQ sauces

yakfish

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Like the title says...what are your favorite BBQ sauces? I've been a big fan of Sweet Baby Rays for many years and always have a few bottles of the original on hand. Tried Sticky Fingers a couple years ago and love the Carolina Sweet flavor but haven't found it sold locally so we don't have it very often. I just bought a bottle of Bullseye Blazin' Chipoltle and I think it might be my new favorite.

What's yours?

Bart's Blazin' Q, Original or Spicy...both are fantastic.

3495125091_barts_blazin_q_bbq_sauce.jpg

17876022681_barts_blazin_q_spicy.jpg

I like original sweet baby rays, stubbs, 50/50 blue hogs are my main 3 store bought sauces

I was gonna say what Tony said but his post just appeared before my eyes...lol

bajatom4934

Gates original is very good. Maurices mustard sauce is also one of my favorites. Blues Hog out of Missouri is very good. These are on grocery store shelves. There bare lots of sauces out there in Mom n Pop land that are never bottled. I had 3 of our BBQ sauces bottled and sold in my BBQ restaurant. They were the Original Mild, Sweet and Tangy, and Hot which was our mild kicked up a couple notches with cayenne.

Last edited:
For brisket, I make Franklin's sauce recipe found in his book. To me, it is far better than the Frankln's sauce sold in stores. For pork, I make Melissa Cookson's "Mother Sauce" using less sugar then she calls for in the recipe.

I have tried a zillion store bought sauces but always go back to these.

For poultry, I love Head Country.

My other go-to's are Sucklebusters. Original for every day and Hot and Spicy for when I want that extra kick.

Stubbs original and The Shed original are my usuals. I like sampling new sauces, but if high fructose corn syrup is the first thing on the ingredients list, I don't bother.

Sweet baby Ray's and lately Rufus Teague

Commercial Stubbs-Sucklebusters and Kylitos.
Home Made- Shack Sauce and maybe one of the above blended in.

These are my favorites but I often buy and try others as well.

I prefer very low sugar and zero HFCS

I never used to like BBQ Sauce except what I made myself. I think I was just tired of the crap pushed upon us as the only items sold in the grocery store.

My all time favorite sauce is Purple Pork Master Competition Sauce, sadly the sauce is no longer marketed. Since then I have tried many other sauces looking for that ultimate flavor. I don't cook with sauce, I usually serve it on the side with the exception of Chicken and Pork Steaks.

For a general BBQ Sauce served on the side I like a mixture of 45/35/20 Ratio of Blues Hog Original/Blues Hog Tennessee Red/Head Country Original measured by weight ratios. This yields a sweet, tangy, savory, well balanced sauce.

For chicken I have grown fond of Chiavetta's Marinade and Cornell Chicken Sauce which I rotate back and forth from time to time. These bring volumes of flavor and moisture into grilled chicken. When you take a bite, your mouth wants another bite before you can chew what is already there.

For Pork Steaks I like Maull's Original; it's a thinner, tangy, and not so sweet sauce that just releases the robust flavors of the pork.

For beef, I prefer to serve a savory sauce with no sweetness on the side. My favorite sauce for beef is "Texas-Texas Good To The Bone". It's so good it will make shoe leather taste great and also works well with pork and chicken when no sweetness is desired.

For those who want to try sauces from other parts of the country, visit the Trading Post Forum and sign up for our next Trade Round which will start in late December. It's a lot of fun and when you participate you get some items from other parts of the country that you would never have known ever existed.

I guess I'm in the minority. I think sweet baby rays is overrated. Way too sweet. I don't use a lot of BBQ sauce, but tried Stubbs original thisast weekend and thought it was decent/good.

Whaddaya mean, gotta love the high fructose corn syrup (#1 ingredient) and liquid smoke combination. :loco:

I haven't used that many sauces but I definitely enjoyed the blueshog 50/50 mix. For store bought I like Stubbs.

I have some head country in the pantry that I want to try soon.

Back