• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Question for VA/NC brethren

fantomlord

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I'll be driving from Norfolk airport to the Outer Banks, NC (Hateras Island, specifically) Sunday afternoon, and could use a good restaurant recommendation. Something affordable, and preferably BBQ related :thumb:

Thanks in advance!

I'll be driving from Norfolk airport to the Outer Banks, NC (Hateras Island, specifically) Sunday afternoon, and could use a good restaurant recommendation. Something affordable, and preferably BBQ related :thumb:

Thanks in advance!

Wood chicks bbq on battlefield blvd in Chesapeake is the best on your route. From the airport it's an easy drive.

Wood chicks bbq on battlefield blvd in Chesapeake is the best on your route. From the airport it's an easy drive.

Woodchicks is on the way on your route from Norfolk, VA to OBX. However their bbq isn't all that it is cut out to be and you will be severely disappointed. It is very bland and not really worth paying for it.

If you don't mind taking a 15-30min drive off of your route, I would suggest going to Smoke from Above or Whitners for bbq. Their BBQ is tasty, although you could probably make better at home. Whitners is off of I264 by a mall (Lynhaven Parkway) and Smoke From Above (off Princess Anne Road) you will have to drive through the city of Virginia Beach as there is no close highway exit to it.

If you want a great deli sandwich there is a deli called Route 58 Delicatessant which is fantastic (Off Virginia Beach BLVD). It is a NY Style deli and you are garunteed to not leave hungry. The sandwichs are expensive ~$15 but it will feed 2 people no problem.

If you want a good sit down restaurant that is on your route, there is a place called Baker's Crust that is between Norfolk International and the Bypass to get to the OBX. It is off Greenbriar Parkway South Exit (Chesapeake, VA) past the mall in a strip shop. They have good gourmet sandwichs, good salads, great desserts.

I live about 10mins from the airport and have lived in the area since 1988 ;)

You will love the drive down to Hatteras Island once you get past the main I64 interstate. It is a nice peaceful drive in the country, then you will come up to the OBX Bridge where you will be in full relaxation mode. Although the drive down to Hatteras Island is quite a haul from Norfolk since it is one of the southern most islands of the OBX.

Woodchicks is on the way on your route from Norfolk, VA to OBX. However their bbq isn't all that it is cut out to be and you will be severely disappointed. It is very bland and not really worth paying for it.

If you don't mind taking a 15-30min drive off of your route, I would suggest going to Smoke from Above or Whitners for bbq. Their BBQ is tasty, although you could probably make better at home. Whitners is off of I264 by a mall (Lynhaven Parkway) and Smoke From Above (off Princess Anne Road) you will have to drive through the city of Virginia Beach as there is no close highway exit to it.

If you want a great deli sandwich there is a deli called Route 58 Delicatessant which is fantastic (Off Virginia Beach BLVD). It is a NY Style deli and you are garunteed to not leave hungry. The sandwichs are expensive ~$15 but it will feed 2 people no problem.

If you want a good sit down restaurant that is on your route, there is a place called Baker's Crust that is between Norfolk International and the Bypass to get to the OBX. It is off Greenbriar Parkway South Exit (Chesapeake, VA) past the mall in a strip shop. They have good gourmet sandwichs, good salads, great desserts.

I live about 10mins from the airport and have lived in the area since 1988 ;)

You will love the drive down to Hatteras Island once you get past the main I64 interstate. It is a nice peaceful drive in the country, then you will come up to the OBX Bridge where you will be in full relaxation mode. Although the drive down to Hatteras Island is quite a haul from Norfolk since it is one of the southern most islands of the OBX.

Thanks both of you for the tips...we'll probably figure it out on Sunday.

the drive from Norfolk is a drop in the bucket--I'm driving down with the kids starting tonight from Chicago :wacko: My wife has a conference this weekend, and is flying in on Sunday, and I get to pick her up--so we'll need to grab some lunch on our way back to the island. This'll be the 5th year straight we're driving down there--and yeah...once we hit the bridge, it finally starts to feel like we're there :thumb:

Thanks both of you for the tips...we'll probably figure it out on Sunday.

the drive from Norfolk is a drop in the bucket--I'm driving down with the kids starting tonight from Chicago :wacko: My wife has a conference this weekend, and is flying in on Sunday, and I get to pick her up--so we'll need to grab some lunch on our way back to the island. This'll be the 5th year straight we're driving down there--and yeah...once we hit the bridge, it finally starts to feel like we're there :thumb:

If you don't want to veer off your path too far from your drive, I would definitely suggest Baker's Crust on Greenbriar Road. They have excellent food that is decently priced. You can also pick up some artisian bread/bagels and possibly some desserts to take back with you. They have a chocolate charlotte cake which is amazing.

High Cotton in Kitty Hawk was pretty good when I tried it. Across from the Kitty Hawk Pier.

Edit: Diamond Shoals in Buxton is pretty good food. Stop in at The Orange Blossom for an apple ugly, too. Gotta get there early though.

Last edited:
High Cotton in Kitty Hawk was pretty good when I tried it. Across from the Kitty Hawk Pier.

Edit: Diamond Shoals in Buxton is pretty good food. Stop in at The Orange Blossom for an apple ugly, too. Gotta get there early though.

thanks--we've hit up Diamond Shoals before...it was definitely worth a stop :thumb:

Back