Slicing smoked chuck roast?

jdefran

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I'm smoking a 3.2 lb chuck roast tomorrow and would like to slice instead of pull. Any tips on temps/technique I should consider?

I'm no chuckie expert but I think it will dry out if not wrapped or done in a stew like manner. Based on the feedback to my questions and personal experience, chuckie isn't really great for slicing or just letting it cook until done on the smoker. PSB seems to be your best bet.

If it was me..... And your going to slice it thin. Cook to 136 or maybe 140. Be safe and split it at 138..... Lol.... Rest and slice..... Should be good. Cut like a brisket against the grain. Next one I do I am going to try this. Let's us know what your thought were.

Good luck I'm sure she will be great. Chuck IMO is easier than brisket. Never had luck slicing chuck like a brisket due to the larger muscle fibers but it slices thick, chunks well and pulls well.

Problem is most butchers already cut it against the grain. Usually the muscles run the height not length of the meat.

If you want sliced beef I wouldn't buy a chuck, slicing is always better going against the grain which is not really possible on a chuck, you can angle it but not go dead against it like a brisket flat or a flank steak or other cuts where the grain runs longways.

Thanks fellas for the insight! I ended up chopping it and mixing in some au jus/drippings I collected during the cook. It was good eatin' and turn out beefy and tender.

Sorry for no pron shoots :doh:

Back