• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

My Weekend Cook

icemn62

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Picked up the meat last night on the way home from the Movies. Got up this AM and rubbed the meat down, lit the chimney to get the coals ready.

Been smoking the Pork Butt for 7 hours as of this moment. the meat has been stuck at 140 for a few hours.

Been religously spraying the meat every hour, and keeping the internal pit temp at 200 - 240 degrees.

Using a mixture of Dr. Pepper, Pickle Juice, and Apple Juice.

How long is this lump of my money gonna stay stuck!!!. Planning on foiling at 165, not sure as to what I do next. Any tips?

The temp is climbing. Just did a check, the smoker is holding at 200 degrees, but the internal temp is finally going up. 159 and rising.

icemn62 said:
The temp is climbing. Just did a check, the smoker is holding at 200 degrees, but the internal temp is finally going up. 159 and rising.
At the lower temps (if you are at 200) the meat will cook much slower simply due to the difference in temps between the meat and the smoker.
If you want to push it down in time--kick up the heat to 240-250 or so--or go ahead and foil the meat!!!
No problem either way.
You will love it when you are done!

When you use the lower 200 temp range for cooking, you can get some really long cook times. But, a fine product when you are done.

For Pork, the mid 200's (235-260) work fine and shorten the cook time a lot! Still a fine product!

FWIW

TIM

Found out I am still in "stuck zone." My son moved the therm as a "joke." Everybody thinks it is funny, but wait till I get done and they don't get any.

Finally put the Butt in the cooler. These people are looking at me like, when are we going to eat? I am thinking, when you go to McDonalds and get some food. It smelled great when I put it in the cooler. The last one I did was so long ago all of this seems new to me.

I knew it was not gonna last long in the cooler. Pulled it from the cooler and shredded the meat. Daughter made french fries, and I got to sit back and watch the family and friends destroy my days hard work. The best part of BBQing is sitting at a quiet table and watching everybody eat. Today was a fun day.

Congrats Iceman! That IS the best, isn't it? You go through all that hard work, not really sure how it's going to turn out, and then everybody TEARS INTO IT like it's great, and you just sit back and think, wow that was cool... Way to go Bro!!

My favorite thing to hear someone say about my Q is "I think I'll go get a little more."

Mmmm, ............. nothing like a Q`d piece of pig! Good job!

What works best for me when wanting an internal temp to rise is to get it closer to the heat sorce. In my Bandera, I just lower it to the bottom rack for a half hour or so.

Going to throw on a 9# pork center loin today. I cut it in half and marinated it with Yoshida's Gourmet Sauce, Woresteschire, Dale's, Cranberry Juice, and dry vermouth. I'm using a couple of hot Italian sausage links in the half that is mostly "white meat" trying Bill's trick of cutting an X in the ends then stuffing two frozen sausages in the middle of the loin. Also going to throw on a 2# Bob Evans fatty-Twisterz mod and some ABT's.

The best part of BBQing is sitting at a quiet table and watching everybody eat. Today was a fun day.
I can relate to that Icemn. Nothing better than sitting back and watching everybody else enjoy the fruits of your labor. If I do eat, I'm always the last one but usually I don't even eat a regular plate. Between snacking on stuff all day making sure it's right and being almost through a 12 pack so I'm pretty full as it is.

The most memorable thing I can remember at one of my cooks is somebody saying, "I thought we were making "to go" plates. There's nothing left here but a little bit of slaw and potato salad." Music to my ears!!

"I thought we were making "to go"

That's when you smile and say "You want 'to go' it's $8.00 a quart for the pork and $15.00 per rack for the ribs. What do you think this is? A restaurant?" :D

Just kidding: sort of! I send food home with friends but I don't overcook to the point everyone is looking for a 'go bag' either!

Got a couple of beef roasts whacked off the last cow we had butchered and a chicken from the local Food-4-Felons (best place in Wichita for 'Q meat). Just getting the beef on, and I think I will let the chicken age a bit in the marinade before puttin' it on. This evening we should have some pretty good eatin'. Oh $hit, I forgot to get a couple of fatties while I was at the store. Oh well....fark the fatties.....now where did I set my Guinness.

I send food home with friends but I don't overcook to the point everyone is looking for a 'go bag' either

Yeah, but that's my downfall. I always cook way more than I need to. Usually if it's on my nickel, I keep everything but if it's a "group" effort we'll split it. The only exception is that one of my buddies loves my baked beans, so I always know to make a little extra for him to take home.

Back