First tri tip w/ lots o pics

Mrtodd777

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I have been seeing so many posts about tri tip lately that I decided I had better give one a try.

Rubbed down with a little black ops and ted & Barney's and into the smoke. She was running at about 240. Hickory and a little mesquite was my wood of choice.

I pulled it when it hit 125 internal and set up my grill for a quick sear.

This is what it looked like before the sear.

Starting to look good!

Rested for about 20 minutes and then it was time for the big reveal.

This was some of the best beef I've had in a long while. Tri tip Sammiches for lunch tomorrow!

That turned out beautifully!:thumb: I'm planning on one for the New Year!:-D

I was hoping to do one of these but it doesn't seem like they have them in Northeast Florida. That looks awesome.

Wish I could get tri-tip around my area, none of the stores carry it. The only place I have found is a custom butcher shop that said he could get it for me but I can't afford his price.

That looks delicious MrTodd...

I ask my HEB butchers for Tri-Tip when I don't see it on the shelf. If they know what they are doing, they can cut you one.

First time I asked a Florida supermarket butcher for tri-tip cut, he looked at me like I was from Pluto. Then I realized they didn't stop calling supermarket meat packers "butchers" for nothing. The next time, I got smart and brought a USDA meat diagram to him and said "any questions?". From that day forward he told me to come in during weekday mornings and he'd cut 'em for me. Now several West Palm Beach Publix stock 'em. Morale of the story...it never hurts to ask. If it does, just bring paper and crayons.

I have talked to the butchers at a couple of the big grocery stores and they tell me that all the meat comes in now in pre packaged vacuum pack sections. They say the tri-tip is not included in these pre cut sections and goes somewhere else, most likely to commercial hamburger company's. I guess in different areas it's more well known and they get it in the stores but around here they look at you like your crazy when you ask for it.

It's almost impossible to get full brisket packers around here, all they carry are the flats. I just found a Sam's Club over in Newport News, about an hours drive for me, that has them. I am going to talk to that butcher next time I am over there and see if he can get me any tri-tip.

Back