What to do with that left over ham bone...

Ron_L

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Since everyone is cooking ham for the Let's Ham It Up! throwdown (hint hint), I thought I would post how we used the bone from our Thanksgiving ham.

Split Pea Soup with Ham

This soup has been a holiday tradition in my family for years and years. We usually have ham at either Thanksgiving or Christmas and the ham bone is used to make split pea soup. Now that my mother is getting older (87) she's passed the recipe on to me. I mad it on this past Friday morning so I could take some to my parents when we visited them this past weekend.

The soup starts with 2 lbs of dried split peas that are rinsed in clean water and then set aside. Then I chopped carrots, onions and celery to get about 2 cups of each. I sautéed these in my soup pot, seasoned with salt and pepper, until the onions were transparent and the carrots and celery were starting to soften.

16014184166_433330e25c_c.jpg

After that I added some chopped garlic and gave that a quick sauté and then put in some dried thyme, 8 cups of chicken stock and the ham bone from Thanksgiving.

15852514908_fcb9e53529_c.jpg

Then the rinsed peas went in along with salt and pepper to taste...

15417680754_6121e2cdc1_c.jpg

Then I added water to cover everything and let it come to a boil and then simmer for two hours...

16039256362_426647cfbf_c.jpg

After two hours I adjusted the seasoning and took out about half of the soup and pureed it with my immersion blender to give the soup a smooth texture...

15852514778_8a673c414c_c.jpg

After that I cooled it and let it sit in the fridge for a couple of days to let the flavors blend. We ate it for dinner last night with some croutons on top for added crunch...

16014184076_9b22859765_c.jpg

The soup was creamy and delicious and the chunks of ham and croutons were a nice contrast in texture. If you've never tried split pea soup, give it a shot. Not all green food is "non-meat, icky stuff" :thumb: :becky:

Not a big pea fan, but I'd give it a try from the top dog in Kane County!!!!

I agree with Peeps on this one. Not normally a fan, but thinking I'd give that a try...

Looks good Ron. Was that a ham you smoked? If so did you get any smoky flavors from the bone?

Yeah, it was smoked, but not a lot of smoke gets to the bone, so I really didn't get much smoke flavor in the soup. If I had save some of the nice bark pieces from the ham that would have added some smoky flavor, but we ate those :-D

I can't do peas (I know, give peas a chance), but I make a killer black bean soup with leftover ham bones.

Looks great! I make ham bone soup with Anasazi beans. As far as brown beans go there is nothing that comes close, and it's simple to make.

I hate peas, but split peas are...well different. They make a great soup. Nicely done man, looks fantastic! :thumb:

Now if that were Lima bean soup, it'd be a different story.

I was going to say Navy beans, but I usually grab great northern beans.:biggrin1:

A hambone is a terrible thing to waste!:becky:

Yum! I also made a batch recently, and it is now my daughter's new favorite soup

FYI - a good way to add some smokiness is to throw 1/4 to 1/2 lb Bacon into the pot once you are adding everything else after the initial saute. I then removed the Bacon when taking the bone out at end of cook... :thumb:

Back