Cooking on weber with wood...

ClintHTX

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Seen somewhere where a member cooked on their weber with strictly wood. How do you do this...start with charcoal and throw wood on top? Also, how would it taste with hamburgers? Too smoky or just right? Considering doing this tonight on something like burgers. What do you guys think?

I have a chargriller charcoal grill and quite often I take a couple chimneys full of hard wood chunks that a little smaller than charcoal briquettes and burn them down to coals and dump them in and cook over them. I usually do it with steaks or pork chops but have done it with burgers. I think it leaves just the perfect smokey taste as they cook pretty fast. It takes a little bit of work to get the chunks that small but it works pretty good.

I cook on my weber with wood all the time .I just ad a little lump with some hickory wood chunk's.1/2 & 1/2 on the mix of lump and wood .
Works real well.

CW I do that quiet often especially when I cook chicken & sausage and I've been know to add burgers a time or three and steaks. There is no down side IMHO, I usually light a couple of hand fulls of lump with the weed burner then add a split and hit it with the burner until it kick starts. Then it is just a matter of adding a split when you need it. Have fun with it. PO works great on a 22.

I do this in fall with the spring pruning trimmings from my apple trees. No problems with smoke levels. I'll even use a hickory split if I want more smoke.

Start with leftovers from your last cook, then lay the wood on top. If steaks or burgers, go ahead and cook on top of the flames, just leave a retreat zone.

If chicken, i wait until the flames are doen a bit.

I use just wood on occasion as long as I have enough time. I start a small fire with kindling wood and then add some bigger stuff until I get three or 4 good size splits on there. I like to let it burn to nice coals which can take an hour sometimes, then toss on whatever I want to grill.

I use just wood on occasion as long as I have enough time. I start a small fire with kindling wood and then add some bigger stuff until I get three or 4 good size splits on there. I like to let it burn to nice coals which can take an hour sometimes, then toss on whatever I want to grill.

That's how I do it. :thumb:

Well,.. when I want to run wood in the weber,.. which was...... 2wice I think..? :noidea:

Cooking with wood is fun. Just remember to stand a few more inches back than normal.

I like to let the fire burn down to coals, cooking over actively burning wood is not actually efficient. Once the coal bed is established, add small chunks or splits to keep fire going.

Cant afford decent charcoal over here so always use wood. I light a starter full of splits with the old cooking oil and paper towel method. Once they are well alight I dump them on top of the last leftovers. Cant go wrong with it. go Git R Dun

Back