Dreaded chicken skin

Darren3369

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
After watching countless videos and trying multiple techniques from scraping skins, butter baths, loaf pans, cooking at higher temps I still end up with chicken skins that shrink and not bite through. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 491
If you are scraping and/or cooking in a butter bath, you shouldn't be encountering any issues. How long are you cooking it for covered? Braise, braise, braise !!

that's too long directly on the grate in my opinion.

I agree with, and I cannot believe the words that are coming out of me mouth... Mr. Duffy :twitch: (actually I can believe them, this is a cooking question, and he's a good... ... ... cook :mrgreen:)

You might very well have had bite through skin after braising, but the 30min back on the grate would have allowed it to toughen back up again

I'm far from a chicken expert, but it looks like your trying to confuse to many techniques together.

If you scraped that skin, you better learn to scrape better......

I'm far from a chicken expert, but it looks like your trying to confuse to many techniques together.

If you scraped that skin, you better learn to scrape better......

Sorry, the picture I used wasn't one with scraped skin, it was a test cook with loaf pans to get the shape down better. I should put that in my original post, I was just using it as a visual reference on how the the skin shrunk during the cook

I make sure there is enough skin to tuck underneath. That usually holds it in place

This is something to note. The toupee'ing you are seeing in that pic is pretty extreme and I'd guess not enough skin is one of multiple culprits here.

Chicken can be a very tricky meat to figure out on your own. Many cooks have, at some point in time, paid for a cooking class to get a good recipe from a tried and true winner. I will say for a fact that we were TERRIBLE chicken cooks until we took a class (two actually). I wouldn't say we're masters still at this point, but I consistently get bite through skin with tender/moist chicken, and I wouldn't have the process I use now if I hadn't taken a class.

With that said, you will get some suggestions on here in that realm, but many cooks are not going to give up their whole process because they either have hundreds of hours into their own special way of doing things, or hundreds of dollars into a class.

As for the picture, I agree with Jason that it appears you're not leaving enough skin on the meat.

What!?!?!?!?!?

This is coming from someone that got a PERFECT PERFECT 180 in chicken this weekend! So, Beth, when are you teaching a chicken class????

You missed the boat on me cooking some chicken in a class by two weekends... :-D. (Not my class, not my chicken...but I certainly did cook some of it).

Are you allowed to scrape the chicken skin the night before comp or will you fail a meat inspection?

From my understanding, you can now do any knife work at home...trimming, scraping, etc. or you can do it on site. Just cant season or marinate. Some one correct me if I am wrong on this.

There is nothing against showing up at a contest with all of your meat trimmed ahead of time.

I hear there may be people that trim meat at home and put it back in the freezer weeks ahead of time.

Are you allowed to scrape the chicken skin the night before comp or will you fail a meat inspection?

In KCBS, you can trim all of your meat at home prior to the event so long as you do not season or marinate the meat.

I trim chicken on Wednesday and butts and brisket on Thursday. Ribs are a quick deal at the comp on Friday as I get them through a special supplier. Each meat goes into some sort of "zip lock" type bag, then into the fridge till we're ready to transport to the comp. You do not need to keep the original packaging for KCBS.

I don't scrape or put in a butter bath and still get bite thru skin. There's always options when it comes to anything

Back