Whole Pig

layne

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I'm smoking a small whole pig for the superbowl.
50lbs dressed weight
Any advise on time/temps/injecting/covering,ect is greatly appreciated.

You've come to the right place. You could pm gtr or dwfisk or search their threads. Both smoke a Mighty pig as do many others here.

Good Luck!

For a smaller pig like yours I would budget 45-60 minutes per 10 pounds, plus at least 30 minute rest under foil.

I don't inject, but there ain't nothing wrong with it if you have time.

I prefer to cook "racer" style and foil wrap as soon as the skin gets to mahogany.

I'll add a link to the wrap technique in a bit.

Linky: [ame]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YALH0H-25x4[/ame]

PS: anywhere around 250*-300* will work, can't tell for sure but the pit in your signature looks like a "Carolina" direct heat pig roaster. If so, butterflied, skin down and still wrap will get you where you need to be.

i am far from an expert, but i just did one that was about 70lbs. we cooked it belly up. around an hour per 10lbs is right if cooking 275-300 or so i think. we protected the loins and ribs by packing with sausage but its surely not necessary. we foiled it up after it got to the color we liked just so it didn't get darker. this was on a RF offset burning hickory.

Thanks guys.
BTW, the pit is a Peoria Cookers Meat Monster with the internal fire box.
Plan to cook belly up, 275-300

For a smaller pig like yours I would budget 45-60 minutes per 10 pounds, plus at least 30 minute rest under foil.

PS: anywhere around 250*-300* will work, can't tell for sure but the pit in your signature looks like a "Carolina" direct heat pig roaster. If so, butterflied, skin down and still wrap will get you where you need to be.

Mine is indirect heat. Is 1 hour / 10 lb good, or was that for direct heat?
Thanks

Last edited:
Mine is indirect heat. Is 1 hour / lb good, or was that for direct heat?
Thanks

That was an hour per 10 pounds, not an hour per pound:becky:

I think the 45-60 minutes per 10 pounds will work, that is what I use in my RF. I budget an hour and if it gets done early that's no big deal; it will hold in foil for quite a ling time.

Edit: for a 50-60 pound hog at your temps, i would be surprised if it took a full 6 hours to cook, I'm thinking more like 4 to 5 will get it done.

Yes, that was a typo. got the hr/10lb.
Cool. Thanks
It will be less now, just talked to the butcher, and the one that came in is closer to 40 lbs.
And he tells me 8 hours @ 225.

Last edited:
Yes, that was a typo. got the hr/10lb.
Cool. Thanks
It will be less now, just talked to the butcher, and the one that came in is closer to 40 lbs.
And he tells me 8 hours @ 225.

How many people are you feeding?

And have fun!!!

Looks good, nice job!

Drool, ��
Nice job Layne
The best part of cooking for a group, Leftovers!
Enjoy

Back