• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Capicola

Fatback Joe

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Been trying a few things from the Olympic Provisions book and the latest to finish up was "Capicola"

Using the top part of the butt (think money muscle), rub it with a mix of sea salt, sugar, crushed red pepper, and cure #1, then into the fridge for 10 days. I just had it in a ziploc bag and flipped it daily.

10 day point.

Remove from the bag, rinse, and hit it with a mix of crushed red pepper, coriander, fennel, and anise.

I let that sit in the fridge overnight and then into the smoker at 250 with oak wood until approx 150 IT.

Out of the smoker

Back into the fridge and let it cool off.......let it go overnight since it was getting late. Out the next day and slice.

I loved it just as it was, but it really shined on a sandwich. Have been using it over the last couple of days. Yesterday my wife made bagels, so........add some swiss, homemade bacon, and a little lettuce.

I could eat this everyday for a while. :becky:

Awesome, Joe! I gotta put this on the list. I've made its dry cured cousin, but never this way..

That looks awesome! I have the book at home,but not with me. Is that the one that calls for pork neck? Your cut looks perfect. So did you just slice off the larger portion of the butt on the money muscle end? How many pounds was the hunk?

Awesome, Joe! I gotta put this on the list. I've made its dry cured cousin, but never this way..

Yep.........as much as I enjoy coppa, I knew I had to do this when I saw it. The book didn't call for smoking it, but you know........:biggrin1::biggrin1:

So did you just slice off the larger portion of the butt on the money muscle end? How many pounds was the hunk?

Yeah, money muscle plus just a little bit off the butt. Seems like this was right around 2 lbs as best I can remember at the moment.

Good job with that! I get it from the deli & use it on pizza - way better than pepperoni, imho.

Looks excellent Joe! I just got the book after reading your FB post, will definitely be giving this a shot!

Very nice Joe, looks delicious!!

Looks excellent Joe! I just got the book after reading your FB post, will definitely be giving this a shot!

I really enjoy the book. Would recommend it to anyone on the bubble about it.

Very interesting.

So thats portion of the shoulder is that is traditionally used for capicola?

Back