Weber Jumbo Joe

Swine Spectator

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
Reaction score
I remember seeing some posts about quality control issues with the Jumbo Joes when they came out. Specifically chipping the porcelain around the bail.

Does anyone know if this was corrected or if it continues to be an issue?

David

Was not previously aware of a problem when they came out. Bought one last fall. The bail is crimped where it enters the bowl and there's a washer to protect the crimp from scraping against the porcelain. Wonder if the original ones didn't have the washer...?

bought mine last year from Target and it was assembled. It does not have the washers. Never noticed it until you made me check.:oops: I stopped by Target today and the demo unit does not have washers. I wonder if they just don't assemble them properly? I guess I can put 2 washers on mine...

Mine has washers but ya know....I can't remember for sure if they came that way or not....ugh I wish i did

bought mine last year from Target and it was assembled. It does not have the washers. Never noticed it until you made me check.:oops: I stopped by Target today and the demo unit does not have washers. I wonder if they just don't assemble them properly? I guess I can put 2 washers on mine...
Mine came in the box with washers and instructions. Should look like this assembled

https://flic.kr/p/tP8sHZ

I just wish Weber would get real and spot weld the lid handle on like they've done for decades. I know it works the same, but it just looks and feels cheap being a bolt on. I'm sure it so they can save a few cents by being able to ship it in a two inch shorter box... The same reason my firebox on my okie joe came in two halves...:mmph: Ok I'm ranting, time to stop. Carry on all...

Actually weber did have a problem with chipping and replaced a lot of bowls. The angle on the bail was to sharp and put to much pressure on the edge. Not sure it it has been fixed. When it first came out every display one I saw was chipped and it was a problem.

Only problem mine has is air flow with the lid on. Can't keep the temperature above 325-350. Otherwise no build quality problems.

Only problem mine has is air flow with the lid on. Can't keep the temperature above 325-350. Otherwise no build quality problems.

I made a smoker out of mine and it keeps stupid hot temps...350* easy and goes over 500*

Put expanded steel around the charcoal grate and make a basket.

I made a smoker out of mine and it keeps stupid hot temps...350* easy and goes over 500*

Put expanded steel around the charcoal grate and make a basket.

Mine gets crazy hot too. One mini chimney full of charcoal and I'm easily over 500F. Jumbo Joe is a great value for what it is. I take mine tailgating and camping.

I had to go out and take a look at mine. My Jumbo Joe is a few years old and have no problems with it.

I just wish Weber would get real and spot weld the lid handle on like they've done for decades. I know it works the same, but it just looks and feels cheap being a bolt on. I'm sure it so they can save a few cents by being able to ship it in a two inch shorter box... The same reason my firebox on my okie joe came in two halves...:mmph: Ok I'm ranting, time to stop. Carry on all...

I about celebrated when I saw they were only bolting them on now. This is the #1 place for rust on the grill and you can't do anything about it. The paint they use cannot get inside the seam but moisture can and you get rust almost right away. I've never seen a handle fail yet, even on an old grill, but the rust will bubble the paint and cause it to flake. With the new handle style, both parts are coated with no surface area to rust.

Back