TALKIN' TURKEY!! (The official/unofficial turkey thread)

I did my first turkey on my Akorn this year and I used a Turkey Canon for the cook. I did a 13lb bird and it was done in only 90 minutes, pulled at 165° in the breast and 185° in the thigh. Best turkey I have ever eaten.

That's how I will do it next time. 3 hours and it would have been thermo-petrified. If it probes 165 after 40 minutes, so be it.

165-170 in the deep breast and it's coming off. Long live the Thermapen. :)

That's how I will do it next time. 3 hours and it would have been thermo-petrified. If it probes 165 after 40 minutes, so be it.

165-170 in the deep breast and it's coming off. Long live the Thermapen. :)

I was surprised by how fast it cooked, I did the cook at 325°, I was expecting about 2hrs. I know the Canon is supposed to be faster but I wasn't expecting that fast. I pulled it off and had to wrap it and put it in a cooler, to wait for the rest of the dinner.

My wife kept telling me it couldn't be done that fast and I kept telling her the temps don't lie. We were cooking another turkey, normal style in the oven, so I had to wait for it. Putting it in the cooler lost me the good bite through skin but the rest of the bird was fantastic. Here is a shot of it on the table, just before I wrapped it up.

Thanks to the forum, I successfully did my first turkey for the family. I had my first daughter a few weeks ago, so the family descended on us instead of us going there. So pressure was on to produce a smoked turkey. I ended up spatchcocking a turkey and made my own poultry seasoning. The turkey was already in a 4% solution, so we didn't brine any. Used a wooden spoon to separate the skin to get the seasoning under there. I ended up using cherry and apple wood. Temp was at 330...I forget how long it took to cook. The outcome was awesome...white meat was very juicy and dark meat was pretty good too.

For those of you with sharp eyes, some skin was messed up as I was also smoking some pecans and the pan was touching a bit for a while.

Attachments

• WP_20141127_001.jpg
    WP_20141127_001.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 401
Thanks to the forum, I successfully did my first turkey for the family. I had my first daughter a few weeks ago, so the family descended on us instead of us going there. So pressure was on to produce a smoked turkey. I ended up spatchcocking a turkey and made my own poultry seasoning. The turkey was already in a 4% solution, so we didn't brine any. Used a wooden spoon to separate the skin to get the seasoning under there. I ended up using cherry and apple wood. Temp was at 330...I forget how long it took to cook. The outcome was awesome...white meat was very juicy and dark meat was pretty good too.

For those of you with sharp eyes, some skin was messed up as I was also smoking some pecans and the pan was touching a bit for a while.

Congrats on your new addition, and congrats on your bird!

2nd attempt at a smoke. Maybe a tad oversmoked, but otherwise delicious

unnamed3.jpg

Guys, I'm thinking of getting my butcher to bone and roll a turkey for smoking. Can I brine a rolled boneless turkey or should it be handled any differently? Any of you guys do it this or is it considered cheating? I imagine it'd be easy to cook evenly

Guys, I'm thinking of getting my butcher to bone and roll a turkey for smoking. Can I brine a rolled boneless turkey or should it be handled any differently? Any of you guys do it this or is it considered cheating? I imagine it'd be easy to cook evenly

I've never done it, but I see no reason why it can't be done.
If it were ME, I'd still brine it. Especially if he's going to roll it and tie it up for you because it'll still hold together like a roast.

I'd also smoke it the same and just make sure that you check the temp in several places to make sure the inside is done.

Let us know how it turns out. Curious myself!

I'd probably brine it before rolling it.

I'd probably do the same thing. Doing it before rolling and tying you'd probably be able to get by with less brine time since a boned out turkey will take the brine quicker.

Since he said he was going to have the butcher roll (and I assume tie it), I'd assume he'd want to brine it after tying.

More or less a trial post. This was my Thanksgiving Turkey, hickory smoked on a Traeger Junior. Brined with 1/2 c kosher salt, 1/2 c coconut sugar, oranges, clove, sliced ginger and apple cider, oiled with olive oil and rubbed with salt and pepper. A half orange stuffed with cloves went in the cavity. Mighty tasty!

IMG_3114.JPG

Well heck, it's getting to be that time of year again (can you believe how fast the year went) and I'm just trying to be better prepared this year. I've read through this thread every year since it started (thanks Wampis) and just read through the whole thing again.

Question for you offset stickburner guys.
I got a Klose this year and I'm planning on smoking some turkeys in it for thanksgiving.
Do you guys use straight wood and if so what's your favorite to smoke turkey with?

I've been smoking with white oak because it's not overpowering and like the way chicken has come out from it. How about turkey? Would a fruit wood be better? I just don't want the birds to be too smokey.

Well heck, it's getting to be that time of year again (can you believe how fast the year went) and I'm just trying to be better prepared this year. I've read through this thread every year since it started (thanks Wampis) and just read through the whole thing again.

Question for you offset stickburner guys.
I got a Klose this year and I'm planning on smoking some turkeys in it for thanksgiving.
Do you guys use straight wood and if so what's your favorite to smoke turkey with?

I've been smoking with white oak because it's not overpowering and like the way chicken has come out from it. How about turkey? Would a fruit wood be better? I just don't want the birds to be too smokey.

Silver, I don't know how much help I'll be, since I'm not a stick-burner myself, but there was a pretty good forum post on this topic a while back...

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72524

Some argue for the use of a charcoal basket, and the general consensus seems to be to use a pan to help "shield" the bird from over-smoking.

For what it's worth, I grew up eating smoked turkeys that were either cooked by my uncle on his old-school backyard pit, or bought from the one of the local BBQ joints around where I grew up (West GA.) Both the restaurants and my uncle used white oak pretty much exclusively, and I can tell you that the results ALWAYS came out good, never over-smoked.

Incidentally, even on my WSM, turkey is one of my favorite things to cook. I use Kingsford Comp or Nature's Grilling All Natural briquettes, two chunks of oak, and two or three chunks of apple.

Hope this helps! Keep us posted on what you find/decide, and any "test cooks" you may be motivated to do between now and Turkey Day! :thumb:

Great post! I've got two birds in the freezer ready for Thanksgiving. This will be my first time smoking a big bird, so I'll be asking lots of questions as the time draws near.

Back